Pina Colada Cake

Baking By KatyN Updated 14 Aug 2019 , 7:49pm by ThatCakeDude42

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 3:26am
post #1 of 8

Order at work for a pina colada cake.

Coconut cake, pineapple filling - but they (as in, the managers) want to just drain canned pineapple and use between the layers.

When using pineapple as a cake filling, I ALWAYS would cook it down and make a delicious filling.  Mainly because the bromelain can break down the structure of the cake and frosting.

Now I have read that canned is better than fresh if using it straight, less chance of that happening - thoughts on this?

Thanks 

7 replies
BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 4:31am
post #2 of 8

This is the recipe I use for my cake filling.

• 3 TBL flour
  • 1 20oz. can drained crushed pineapple
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 TBL butter
  • 1/8 teas. salt
  • Combine flour, salt & sugar in sauce pan, add pineapple, butter. Cook med. heat stirring till thick. Cool & spread on cake layers.

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 5:07am
post #3 of 8

Oh I have a recipe - just wondering if anyone has tried canned pineapple and how it worked.  If it held up or not.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 8

I have not but please let me know how it goes — pineapple is so unusual that way — wonder how dehydrated pineapple would do — and  freeze dried pineapple would probably  top them all — put it in the food processor or buy a powder of it — mmm

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 8

When needing pineapple for filling I always used Henry and Henry sleeved pineapple or “fruit only” jam  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 8

My first thought was, no one else should be telling you how to make your cake.  You are the baker.  My second thought is, if Betty says her recipe is a good filling with canned pineapple, you can take it to the bank!  Have you seen her cakes?!!  For what it is worth, I always use canned pineapple in cakes.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 8

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 8

I just made a Pina Colada cake, but with pineapple cake and coconut frosting. It was one of the easiest and best tasting cakes I've made. I workout, lift weights, and I'm very disciplined when it comes to eating healthy... I ate 4 or 5 pieces of that cake in 3 days. It was like crack.

I use crushed pineapple straight from the can as part of the filling in my banana split cake.  I haven't had any problems with it reacting with the bananas, strawberries,or french buttercream.

There are also a lot of recipes that incorporate canned crushed pineapple directly in to buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%