Freezing Sugar Cookies & Making Toppers In Advance

Baking By Holiver Updated 14 Aug 2019 , 7:21pm by SandraSmiley

Holiver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holiver Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 10:55am
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice. I have (yet again) over booked myself *note to self try to be better at saying no!*. I have been asked to make sugar cookies and cupcakes for next week, I have a fail safe recipe  for the cookies but I have never frozen them cooked or uncooked and to save time i'd really like to try.

The recipe I use is http://shewhobakes.co.uk/recipes/halloween-cookies/ do you think the dough or the cooked cookies will freeze ok? If so how would you suggest storing them?

In other news Im also looking to make some fondant disk cupcake toppers, how far in advance would you say I could make these? I would need them to set hard anyway so i'm thinking a week would be fine. what are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Hayley

8 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 11:38am
post #2 of 9

The cookies will freeze well uncooked. I usually make cookie dough in advance and freeze it until I need it. If you roll it out, cut out your shapes and then freeze well wrapped in clingfilm, you can just bake them straight from the freezer. 

With the fondant cupcake toppers, you can do them at least a week in advance. You just need to cover them to keep them clean. 

Holiver Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 11:47am
post #3 of 9

@louglou You are my hero!! this is going to save me so so so much time and tears!

Thank you!

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 11:50am
post #4 of 9

You’re very welcome!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 9

Here’s another yes to all she said 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 9

Sugar cookies also freeze perfectly already baked.  My mama always had a freezer full of cookies, just in case we showed up, which we did and we did want cookies!  She always just stacked her cooled cookies in a large freezer box or Tuperware, anything that will seal airtight.  I think if I were going to freeze them for a job, I would put a piece of wax paper between the layers, just to be sure they would not stick.

Ditto on making the fondant discs ahead of time.  If you want to make them a couple of weeks in advance, put them in a Ziploc bag, which will prevent them becoming as hard as a rock.  They will still firm up.

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 9

Holiver Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 9

Amazing thanks guys!!

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%