How To Flavor A White Cake

Baking By ladydebra68 Updated 9 Aug 2019 , 8:45pm by SandraSmiley

ladydebra68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladydebra68 Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 9

I have a bride "NEEDS" her cake to be white/white but wants flavor. Can I add emulsion of lemon or orange or any other suggestions would help. I need it for a Tasting appt.  this weekend.  help...

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 9

brown vanilla doesn't show up in white cake -- sure you can use those oils --

the exact color of the cake and icing will be determined by the lighting in the room at the reception -- there are fifty thousand different shades of white -- icing is often "whiter" than cake because it is denser --

I never baked especially to please a bride's whim -- she picked my flavors and cakes or she went somewhere else -- that's too much stress -- too much work -- I did not present myself to win place or draw in their personal estimation at a tasting -- know what I mean? 

shortening will give you a white white icing as well as clear vanilla -- but I think you really lose in the flavor department with icing like that so she needs to decide on something within the realm of possibility -- but of course there are tons of different flavored emulsions and oils like you already mentioned

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 9

there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want/need to —

best to you

blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 9

K8’s right — there are tons of shades of white   Besides what she mentioned you could add just the tiny tenseeest bit of blue or violet color to bring up the white    The *original* WASC recipe on this site would be a very good choice especially for taste   Sorry I can’t link it for you but DO look it up   Full Of flavor-a great taste treat! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with -K8memphis and kakeladi, you can use any flavorings you desire.  If you are trying to stay perfectly white, emulsions, as well as lemon, almond, peppermint and tons of others are clear.

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 9

Here is the link to kakeladi's *Original* WASC Recipe:

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 9

Unless her reception is going to be brightly lighted, no one will see that her cake is white.  And honestly, no one besides her will care what color it is.  Brides and the crazy things they focus on LOL!

Anyway, besides what has been suggested you could pick yourself up a bottle of white food coloring to help make things a bit whiter and also I would suggest cutting off all the caramelization (bottom and sides) of the cake so that there aren't any brown lines anywhere when you slice up the cake.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 9

oh good one, freckles —  cutting off the carmelization — brilliant!

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 9

Be sure and check out How To Bake That's video (in the pictures above) on the 100 year old tip for preventing your cake from seriously browning on the top and bottom.  Genius!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%