Wedding Cake Please Help

Baking By Amber214smith Updated 8 Aug 2019 , 1:26am by SandraSmiley

Amber214smith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amber214smith Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 4

Hello I’m new here, I have a wedding cake due Sep 7th and I’ve been wondering if anyone can help me with a couple questions 

I’ve been making cakes for birthday all summer and I’ve had a terrible time with sweating, one cake the buttercream completely starting slipping off the cake. I’ve been so worried with this wedding coming up that this well happens the day of delivery 

i have a stand up freezer that I put my already decorated cakes in and then move them to my fridge so they don’t go from freezing temp to room temp but that’s not been helping lately 

I don’t have space I’m my fridge for an iced wedding cake. Please someone help me  

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 12:08am
post #2 of 4

after it’s been in the freezer, how long do you hold it in the fridge before you take it out to room temp?

when I didn’t have access to an extra fridge I cleaned out my home fridge — I didn’t buy any groceries — pickles and jelly, ketchup, mustard and things that would usually be in there came out — i would toss anything that took up too much room or eat it — I just made room —

also — there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want/need to —

best to you

blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 12:54am
post #3 of 4

Sweating is caused by a big difference between temps from fzr to room temp   Do NOT touch it  in any way & it will evaporate as temps become equal   I had only one cake be a problem & that was very early in my career— a whole slab of icing fell off in transport:(  that was w a y before learning that cakes should be transported cold    If the icing is slipping off it might be you didn’t press it onto the cake enough which can offen happen if it is a smaller tier or it might be the icing recipe   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Aug 2019 , 1:26am
post #4 of 4

I agree, it needs to be refrigerated, whatever it takes.  In the past, I was having trouble with the icing coming away from the cake.  After much discussion with lots of cake folks, we finally hit upon the problem.  I was using homemade cake release (equal parts oil, shortening and flour) and, evidently, the oil in the mixture was preventing the icing from properly adhering to the cake.  I now make parchment paper collars and circles for the bottom of my pans and I've had no further problems.

I've shared this video a million times because I swear by it.  It is how to make a portable cooler for transporting cakes.  The only thing I do differently is leave one end of the box open, so the cake can be slid in and out instead of the top being open and lowering the cake into it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%