Stacking Cakes

Baking By Ash-lee Updated 7 Aug 2019 , 6:05pm by kakeladi

Ash-lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ash-lee Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to make a two-tier cake soon and it's my first time. I just want to find out if it's a must to put straws when stacking the cakes or i can get away with it if i don't put the straws?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 7

The only time one can get away without using supports is if the top tier is a 6” or smaller one because there is little weight to those small sizes    I know not everyone agrees with me on that   Some will insist that *every* cake that has more than one tier needs to be doweled    Some say to use one support for each inch of the cake going on top ie: 6 dowels to support a 6” cake   That is overkill   There is little cake left it’s so full of holes LOL   Three plastic drink straws placed in a triangle is more than enough to hold a small cake w/o a problem:)    I suggest you do research on this on YiuTube   There are many good videos to help you understand things like this 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 7

I am a "better safe than sorry" type of person so I would suggest you use supports in your lower tier to hold the weight of the upper tier.  I do agree with kakeladi that 3 straws is enough to support the weight but me, personally, would be a panicky mess if I didn't use anything.  Not sure about other 6" round cakes, but mine definitely have some weight to them where I feel like they would 100% cause issues if not supported properly.

The most important thing about your supports is that they all need to be the same length. So insert one support, make a mark on where to cut it and then mark the rest of the straws at the same point.  This way you are guaranteed your top tier will be level.  Also make sure when you insert them into the cake you are doing so straight up and down and not at an angle.  Definitely check out youtube, there are loads of videos that can help you.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 7

I am definitely one of those crazies to who kakeladi is referring!  Like Freckles0829, my 6" cakes, which are almost always taller than they are wide,  definitely have some heft to them. I am also in the camp of one support for each inch of tier being supported, i.e. six straws to support a 6" diameter tier.  It would never enter my mind to stack without supports.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 7

i’ve never heard of anyone being sorry that they put supports in — but the opposite is grieved deeply and often

kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 7

From fellow posters said:  ..........The most important thing about your supports is that they all need to be the same length............Also make sure when you insert them into the cake you are doing so straight up and down and not at an angle........i’ve never heard of anyone being sorry that they put supports in .........

All good advice that not previously mentioned. So true about supports all needing to be the same and inserted *straight*!     When I was teaching I would have the students put the cake on a turntable; insert  supports just about 1"-1 1/2" deep & turn the turntable *slowly* all the way around so they see that they were going in straight & if needed, varry the pressure of the push to straighten, then repeat and repeat untill all the way in.   When you are just learning how to properly place suppots this help you 'feel' it & you soon learn how to insert w/o needing to 'slowly' do it :) 

kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 7

BTW Ash-Lee if you are a new member on this board you will not be able to reply to any post - including this one.  If you wish to say something or ask other ?s just make a new post refering to this one.   After about 30 days you will suddenly be able to reply.   Don't be shy about making another post :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%