Rustic Fruit Cake. Help

Baking By Juicyboos Updated 2 Aug 2019 , 7:22pm by Debbieshobby

Juicyboos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juicyboos Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake and it is requested as rustic. With a basic barely there buttercream finish but she wants a fruit cake later. How do I finish that.?! 

I’ve only ever finished a fruit cake with marzipan and royal icing. Can I use the same buttercream will it be okay. I would want it in layers inside too but can’t slice it it may dry up. Is it insane to make multiple thin fruit calendars layers and put buttercream between them and then rustic ice it to match. Or have it whole uncut with a barley there buttercream finish feels tacky.

Help me how how do I do a fruit cake layer elegantly and how should it Ben finished.  

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

I know it is done, but in the US, we do not ice fruit cakes, only soak them in a boozy, fruity mixture.  As far as I am concerned, the fruit cake would be much better as one solid tier with a minimum of buttercream on the outside, near naked style, just like your other cake.

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 10:18am
post #3 of 6

Indeed!  I’ve never had an iced fruitcake. Naked, cut a good sized piece and top with a healthy portion of cold salted butter!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 6

Bump 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 6

Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 6

Is the fruit cake being displayed alongside the other cake. Do they need to look similar? Could you marzipan it and then make it look rustic with fondant in a bark design?  If it’s all one cake then have the fruit cake as the tree stump design with other layers on top? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%