Decoupage Wafer Paper On Black Buttercream?

Decorating By GlamourViking Updated 1 Aug 2019 , 3:04pm by -K8memphis

GlamourViking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GlamourViking Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 9

Hey, all! New to the forums here, so forgive me if this is a newbie question (I searched the forums for anything relating to my question, but didn't find anything.)

Does anyone have any experience with applying wafer paper onto black ABC? I've been approached about doing a gothic style wedding cake and my usual style is hand painted cakes. I've painted on cakes directly and have had great results, but I've also branched out into painting on wafer paper and applying it to cakes and have enjoyed the results as well. Especially since I find that I have more control painting on the wafer paper versus the vertical surface of a cake and can make more realistic looking florals. 

If I apply wafer paper to black buttercream, do I run the risk of some of the black food color leaching through the wafer paper? Would applying something to the back of the wafer paper help prevent any possible color transfer? 

My other idea was to paint on to thinly rolled white modeling chocolate and apply it to the sides as well, which would give it more of that collaged effect, but I haven't worked with modeling chocolate nearly as much and am not as confident in my skills working with it. 

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know for sure but I don't think it would -- you really need to test it out for yourself -- but if you can use black cocoa to make your buttercream I could say definitely not because the amount of black food color is greatly reduced -- plus the guests get all that black food color in their teeth and it's not a pretty thing at a wedding -- depending on how exactly goth they wanna go blush so the black cocoa is a great idea -- available on amazon --

also writing to say:

there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want/need to —

best to you

blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 9

My experiences w/wafer paper go back some 20 yrs so don't know if it has changed any.  I suggest placing the drawing/wafer paper onto a very thin backing of fondant.  Yes, the black will definately spoil your drawing.   Along w/what K8 said You can always try just smearing some blk b'cream on paper & applying a snippet of wafer paper to see who things go.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 9

I don't think wafer paper would work at all because of the moisture content in the buttercream.  It is my guess that the black would bleed all the way through the paper and completely obscure your painting.

Why not do your painting on white fondant.  Carefully cut out your picture and paint the cut edges of the fondant black so they blend in with the black buttercream.

Unless you use cocoa butter as your mixing medium, it is difficult to paint on modeling chocolate.  I prefer to paint with vodka as my mixing medium and it works beautifully on fondant.  Fondant will hold up well on the black buttercream.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 9

Quote by @GlamourViking on 1 day ago

... but I've also branched out into painting on wafer paper and applying it to cakes and have enjoyed the results as well. Especially since I find that I have more control painting on the wafer paper versus the vertical surface of a cake and can make more realistic looking florals. 

kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 9

................"If I apply wafer paper to black buttercream, do I run the risk of some of the black food color leaching through the wafer paper? Would applying something to the back of the wafer paper help prevent any possible color transfer? ......"
I have done some very minor painting on WP.  Yes, you will need to back it w/a very thin plaque of fondant or thinly rolled white modeling chocolate  as the color will  the black would bleed all the way through the paper and completely obscure your painting.  As I suggested before try it w/a small piece of WP on some blk b/cream.  

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 1:32am
post #7 of 9

ok i'm a little confused -- it seems that glamourviking already does do this painting on wafer paper -- see the quote on post  #5 -- but just wants to know if the black will bleed through -- unless I am reading her post wrong --

kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 1:49am
post #8 of 9

K8 you have it right —  not confused:)  

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 9

thank you lynnie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%