Gender Reveal Cake Recipe And Questions

Baking By jollybuns Updated 30 Jul 2019 , 7:13pm by kakeladi

jollybuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jollybuns Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone,

I am baking a gender reveal cake for a baby boy this week and need some advice:

1) Do you have any unique recipes you can share? I was going to go with just a yellow cake with blue food coloring but was looking for something with more flavor

2) Do you have any suggestions on what filling i can put between the layers that will go well with the cake and regular meringue buttercream frosting?

3) how do i make pink or blue drips? last time i used candy melt it hardened immediately once i poured it onto the cake and it was a nightmare.

TIA!

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 10

yellow cake with blue food color might reveal a green cake — i’d go with yolkless white cake unless you want a dark blue — that would probably overcome the yellow — but not for a baby blue

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 10

I’m thinking the WASC recipe with blueberries &/or food coloring   For filling find a blue jam — “Simply fruit” mixed w/b’cream to lighten the color might work 

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 10

The WASC recipe using white mix (&yes still use whole eggs) w/vanilla bean for the flavor or add 1/3 cup well chopped almonds alone or w/the vanilla beans 

jollybuns Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 10

awesome thank you ladies! i saw a few "blue velvet cakes" have you guys tried it or know how i can go about this and how it tastes compared to white cake?

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 10

We do blue velvet all the time at work.  Many velvet cakes, actually.  It's like - just OFF yellow, if that makes sense, because of the wee amount of cocoa powder in it.  We use the Chefmaster colors and add plenty - colors turn out fine.  Just be sure to add more than what it seems like you'll need.  For babies we use Sky Blue or Rose Pink.  They love it.

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 10

Though I have never made one from the recipes I have read it's basically the same as a red velvet except using a white mix/recipe with blue coloring in it.  They use just a couple of Tablespoons cocoa powder and buttermilk  so it won't even have a choco flavor. 

jollybuns Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 10

do you have a recipe you can share if you don't mind?

@kakeladi- i have to search them and see, i wonder if it will still taste good without the choco flavor.

thank you both!

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 4:26am
post #9 of 10

Will see if I can get one - when do you need it?

kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 10

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%