Trying To Bake A Jelly Donut Layer Cake

Baking By Bakingbat Updated 27 Jul 2019 , 5:20pm by MBalaska

Bakingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingbat Posted 25 Jul 2019 , 5:37am
post #1 of 12

So I wanted to surprise my sister this weekend with a jelly doughnut  layer cake, I have the design and filling planned out but I just can’t figure out how to make a “doughnut flavoured cake”. I’ve heard people using nutmeg and cinnamon to mimic the flavour but I wouldn’t know what amounts to use of those either. I’m new to cake baking, is there anyone who can help me out? Sorry if this question is a little confusing, this is my first time posting in the forums! Thanks all!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2019 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry I cannot help you w/that flavor   I just wanted to let you know that being new to this forum you will not be able to reply to any post so feel free to start a new post referring to this one if/when you have anything more to say    Good luck with finding the answer you are wanting 

kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2019 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 12

Just did a quick google search—at least 8 or 10 recipe for donut cake   Most didn’t use either spice -one mentioned using 1/2tsp nutmeg; maybe 3-4 used yeast 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2019 , 1:02am
post #4 of 12

the main thing that makes doughnut a doughnut is that they are fried — cake is baked right so there’s a big difference right there —

so y’know what would taste like doughnuts? doughnuts! what about a layer of real donuts in there? but fried foods get soggy when they are enclosed like that — 

I think I would get some doughnut holes and use them for the bottom border— so they won’t get soggy  — 

what do you think?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2019 , 1:09am
post #5 of 12

but here’s another idea — you can get canned biscuits and make your own donut holes the exact size you want — we used to just tear a hole in the center and fry them — roll in cinnamon sugar — mmmmm

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2019 , 1:09am
post #6 of 12

but here’s another idea — you can get canned biscuits and make your own donut holes the exact size you want — we used to just tear a hole in the center and fry them — roll in cinnamon sugar — mmmmm

kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2019 , 1:18am
post #7 of 12

Hey K8 there are “cake donuts “ :)    

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jul 2019 , 2:08am
post #8 of 12

I tend to agree with kakeladi and -k8memphis, if you want real doughnut flavor, you are going to have to incorporate real donuts.  Another idea would be to make the cake "look" like a donut.  Use fairly large pans and stack two or three layers, cut out a hole in the middle, slightly carve to round the edges like a donut.  Fill between the layers with whatever filling you planned to use and frost with a simple, vanilla frosting or drip.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2019 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 12

true on the cake donuts but they would still lose that crisp edge

Fancyschmancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancyschmancy Posted 26 Jul 2019 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 12

I've used this yeasted coffee cake many times.  It's veeeerrrrryyyy tender.  Make this batter, but not the cinnamon topping.   Do all your layers separately so you don't have to torte.  Pop them in the freezer still in the pan so they firm up well before attempting to release.  Be sure to use parchment.  I'd assemble and ice this frozen, personally.  

Best I could come up with

https://www.dessertfortwo.com/yeasted-coffee-cake-2/

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2019 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 12

great idea, fs 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Jul 2019 , 5:20pm
post #12 of 12

Mace is the flavor that makes cake donuts taste good without the bitterness of nutmeg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%