What Is The Best Box Mix?

Baking By weluvpiggies Updated 24 Jul 2019 , 11:58pm by kakeladi

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 23 Jul 2019 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 11

I'm only asking because I'm a gluten-free vegan baker and I'm baking a larger cake for my mom's 80th birthday and I think I should just make a wheat and eggs cake for them (I'll have gluten-free vegan cupcakes available).  However, I don't want to buy any wheat flour for just this cake.   And, I don't want to make practice cakes b/c I can't eat them. ;)

That said, what is the best box cake that you would recommend?

Thanks so much! :)

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2019 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 11

I have used all three of the major brands and some off brands.  They are all similar but I keep going back to Betty Crocker for more consistent results - especially iwith this recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe       It's a great cake especially for sightly larger cakes.  Good luck and happy baking :) 

weluvpiggies Posted 23 Jul 2019 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much, but it looks like you need to add an additional cup of flour and I was trying to avoid buying wheat flour. ;) 

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 9:55am
post #4 of 11

This doctored recipe makes a good cake and doesn't require extra flour. You can change it up by using different flavored mixes. Unless you're making a white cake, you can use 3 whole eggs instead of the 4 egg whites. https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 11

If you don't want to purchase flour you could always ask friends/neighbors if they would be kind enough to give you a few cups if you wanted to try out the WASC receipe.

As for box mixes, I grew up on Duncan Hines so that is usually my go to but sadly my store of choice doesn't carry many flavors so I will reach for Betty Crocker if I need a flavor that my store doesn't have in DH.

Also, this is a trick my sister has used for a few of her kids birthday parties.  She goes to her local grocery store where she really enjoys the taste of the cakes they have but asks for a cake that is only crumb coated.  Then she will frost and decorate it as needed for the party.  Cuts out the time and ingredients for baking but she can still give her "Mom touch" to her kids birthday cakes.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 11

I use the top three, Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury, in that order. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 11

it doesn't matter as much the brand of cake mix, although I use duncan hines fwiw --

if you use whole milk instead of water you get a better cake out of a cake mix -- although if you are doing a chocolate it tames the chocolate down a bit so you would want to start with a dark fudge to still have a nice full chocolate bang  -- obvious things like if you're doing lemon add lemon zest that has been rubbed with some granulated sugar until it becomes fragrant -- this fully releases the oil in there -- add a shot of vanilla or whatever flavoring you are after -- 

the melted ice cream recipe from the cake mix doctor is brilliant -- eggs, ice cream and cake mix:

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cake/incredible-melted-ice-cream-cake.html

if you use it -- be sure the melted ice cream measures 16 ounces -- some ice creams are whipped and a 'pint' will melt less than 16 ounces -- and you can use any flavor cake mix and any flavor ice cream -- mmm

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 11

What a cool tip, -K8memphis, using melted ice cream!  Must give that one a try.

weluvpiggies Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 11

Well, went shopping for my supplies and ended up getting a very small bag of AP flour and the sour cream.  Is this recipe ok for a 10 in. round or will I need to remove batter?

Thanks!

weluvpiggies Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 11

Also, could I add lemon juice in place of some of the water or is that too acidic?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 11

The recipe makes enough batter for both a 10x2” & 6x2” pan   Or you could make Maybe 8 or 10 cupcakes   Yes replacing up to 1/4 cup w/lemon juice is fine  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%