Recipe Tweak

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 14 Sep 2019 , 10:32pm by MamaGeese

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 22 Jul 2019 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 8

I'm wondering if any of you baking scientists out there can help me with a recipe. I'll post it below, but it is absolutely delicious! I know it seems like way too little flour for all the other heavy ingredients, and I started adding a little more, I'm now up to 1/4 cup more and it is still so dense it's like a brownie. I'm trying to get it where it doesn't have that fallen density, but keep that glorious flavor. Any advice?

2 cups cake flour, 1 cup Dutch processed cocoa, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder,  3 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup Crisco, 5 eggs, 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, 2 tsps Vanilla. 

Put together using familiar creaming method and alternating buttermilk and dry ingredients. I bake in 2 9" pans 

it looks lovely when baking, but ALWAYS shrinks down like a brownie in a few minutes. 

Thanks!

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jul 2019 , 12:13am
post #2 of 8

The cup of cocoa appears to be replacing one cup of flour in this recipe.  Without giving it a try, I would think this recipe needs at least 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and since it contains buttermilk, 1 teaspoon of baking soda.  Also, 1-1/2 cups of butter and shorting seems like an awful lot.  If I were trying to make it more cake like, I would start by adding more leavening.

MamaGeese Posted 23 Jul 2019 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, I was thinking that by using the dutched Cocoa is why it didn't call for any soda. It's strange because I can make it in small baby bundt pans and it doesn't fall. When it works, it's the most delicious chocolate cake I've ever had in my life!

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 23 Jul 2019 , 1:24am
post #4 of 8

I agree with Sandra, it definitely needs more leavening. A tsp each of baking powder and baking soda is a good place to start. 

The ratios are out of whack so you're going to have trouble getting it to act like a cake. You've basically got the structure components from a single recipe, but the fat and sugar from 1 1/2 recipes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2019 , 4:37am
post #5 of 8

I didn’t say anything earlier because I don’t know the science of cakes at all — never have —  but the 1st thing that popped in to my head was the need for both baking soda & powder  as the others have said   

MamaGeese Posted 23 Jul 2019 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 8

Gonna try the extra leavening, I tried adding more flour and it was a little better, but it affected the intense flavor. Should I adjust the salt down if I add baking soda? I don't want it too fluffy,  my favorite texture is tight like pound cake, but a little lighter. I'll try the leavening, if that doesn't work, maybe I'll leave out the Crisco? 

Thanks all

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jul 2019 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 8

MamaGeese Posted 14 Sep 2019 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks friends, So I upped the flour to 260 grams, and added a full tsp of baking powder, I didn't add soda because I was using dutched Cocoa.

layers looked beautiful. They didn't shrink while cooling and were totally level. Can't wait to cut it to see texture, but it felt great to the touch.

thank you all !! BTW, this really is a too die for chocolate cake. I add a tsp of coffee powder to buttermilk. It's not a "kiddy" chocolate cake, this is hard core. I buy my dutched Cocoa from a company called Wilburs out of Pennsylvania and it's the BEST I've ever used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%