Sweaty Cake?

Baking By Clarg1974 Updated 22 Jul 2019 , 6:25pm by SandraSmiley

Clarg1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clarg1974 Posted 22 Jul 2019 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys. Just after some advice. I made a cake for someone, covered it in fondant and decorated it, with a figure. I got a call today to say they they couldn’t eat the cake because it wasn’t cooked, and the figure broke.

I cut the top off the cake before adding butter cream so I know it want raw. Also the figure had gum tray added, and was solid when he took the cake.. I know that he had planned on leaving the cake in a car for approx 2 hours. 

So I guess my question is, so a sweaty cake cause it to look under cooked? 

Mom assuming it was sweaty, as if the figure broke, that tells me the icing got hot!

I’ve baked a lot of cakes, this hasn’t happened before.

I thank you for your guidance on this.

4 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 22 Jul 2019 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 5

The customer planned to leave a cake in a car for 2 hours?!  I am not sure of your location but I would venture to guess that yes, the car got hot which caused the buttercream to melt into the cake which can lead to a very moist, if not mushy mess of a cake.  For example, just this past week we had a heat index of about 110F.  I can't imagine what the inside of a car would get to in 2 hours.  Probably enough to cook an egg on the dashboard so a cake would definitely not survive.

Did you inform the customer that this plan was not a good one?  Do you say or have anything in writing that once the cake leaves your hands anything that happens to it is not your responsibility?

In the end if the customer did leave the cake in the car then they made a very poor decision and the reason for the messed up cake is completely on them.  I would still ask them to bring back the cake so you can see exactly what they are talking about and to confirm that the problem with the cake was not on anything that you did.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2019 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with everything she^^^ said    

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2019 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 5

Bumping 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jul 2019 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with Freckles0829, as well.  Since you trimmed the cake and know for sure that it was well baked and the figure was intact when picked up, you have no further responsibility.  You should ask that the cake be returned, just to see if he will return it.  I am guessing not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%