What Should I Charge For A Wedding Cake?

Baking By LittleMissPrairie Updated 17 Jul 2019 , 11:27pm by SandraSmiley

LittleMissPrairie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMissPrairie Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 3

I’ve recently started a cake making business and would class my self as a novice baker as I’ve only been making cakes for about a year. 

I've been asked to make a 3 tier wedding cake and literally have no idea what to charge for it. I know that it’s probably going to cost around £100-£120 to make (depending on flavours the client chooses)

I ask as i’ve never made a 3 tier before, only a 2. I know a 2 tier I recently made tuck me 4 evenings and 1 morning. (Not very helpful I know, sorry) but I don’t want to charge the client based on how long it takes me as I get that I will be slower than an experienced baker.

the cake the client has asked for is semi naked, with drips, 24k gold leaf and fresh flowers.

I read that a cake maker should charge £10-£15 per hour so how long should this take on average and is this figure correct?

any help would be much appreciated.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 3

What are others in your area charging?   Here in the US we charge by the # of servings starting around $4 to $6 per serving.  So if the total of the 3 tiers serves say 84 then you would charge around $350-$550 (sorry - don't know how that translates into your currency).  Hope that helps some.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 3

Most new decorators do charge per serving.  With time, you will become faster and may decide to change the way you charge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%