Stacking Cakes Dummies And Real Ones

Decorating By athenanathy Updated 17 Jul 2019 , 10:32pm by athenanathy

athenanathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenanathy Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 8

Hello my friends, 

I have a 3 layer cake order 12", 9" and 6". They want the 12" to be the real cake and the other two dummies. The real cake will be a coconut cake with rosettes. As for the other two layers one will be glitter and the other will be just gold. So... here are my questions

1- Do you I dowel all cakes? 

2- I only work with SMBC but I don't think its the right approach for the dummy layers. Is there a recipe you could share that I can do to cover the dummy cakes  that I can start decorating way ahead in advance. and that won't get damage according to weather. 

3- Any suggestions for edible gold glitters that are really gold and shinny?

Thank you all!

7 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 8

I would only put dowels into the bottom tier to hold the weight of the dummy cakes.  You don't need to dowel the dummy cakes because the styrofoam is strong enough to hold the weight of the other styrofoam dummy.

Since they are dummy tiers you could always just use an ABC frosting which uses half, if not all shortening.  This will hold up well in hot weather and will hold its shape if you use it to decorate.  But the SMBC won't hold up nearly as well (as you probably already know since you use it all the time).

As for the gold glitter, I have never purchased any so I can't really give any  recommendations.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 8

I would not even dowel the largest/bottom tier since the dummy cakes don't weight much at all.  But then, if you feel it would be safer go ahead :)   Have no idea about glitter as any on the market is NOT edible - at least none I have seen/heard about.  How would you like to eat crushed plastic?  That's what most (if not all) glitter is.  I know it's going on a non edible tier but it sluffs off easily and WILL get on the real cake icing :(   Here's a great ABC icing recipe that can be used on a dummy w/o problems:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing    I've used it in very hot dry weather but not in high humidity so don't know for sure how it will hold up there.

athenanathy Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 8

You guys are the best. Thank you. 

I look forward to the playing with the new ABC. 

athenanathy Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 8

OMG OMG OMG I can finally reply to threads. I actually want to cry. Its official I am a member :) Happy is an understatement right now 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 8

bouquetyeah that’s what I was just thinking! athenanathy’s replying!!! whoo hooo hooo!!! 

congratulations!!!! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 8

look on the evil cake genius’ website for gold & glitter or on global sugar art —  but if the item is metallic and even if it says edible or fda approved and it is super shiny it’s a questionable product to use — ‘cause food isn’t metallic —

softer colored is better — i’d just learn to advise my brides of this that nobody wants the cake to be harmful to anyone — the very young, very old (including me :) and those already with chronic illness would be affected —

athenanathy Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for the tip. I look start looking. 

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 hour ago

look on the evil cake genius’ website for gold & glitter or on global sugar art —  but if the item is metallic and even if it says edible or fda approved and it is super shiny it’s a questionable product to use — ‘cause food isn’t metallic —

softer colored is better — i’d just learn to advise my brides of this that nobody wants the cake to be harmful to anyone — the very young, very old (including me :) and those already with chronic illness would be affected —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%