How Would You "structure" This Cake Pop?

Baking By emarcomd Updated 17 Jul 2019 , 11:09pm by caken4fun

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 10 Jul 2019 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 7

So, I'm (hopefully) making octopus cake pops.   Ideally modeled on this guy that I made an impulse purchase of:

So my first challenge is figuring out how to just structure the damn pop!

Would you make  an oblong ball and attach a round ball (somehow) to it, like so?

Or would you make one big oval and just kind of squeeze a little dent?  It sounds more secure, but not really a great look.

and either way, where would you put the stick - the thickest part or in the center of the weight?

If anyone has any suggestions (am I going to have to do fondant legs?  But then I'd have to cover the whole thing in fondant/modeling chocolate) I'd super appreciate it!  

UGH!  Maybe I should just do a sea lion.   

(oh, this isn't for pay or anything -- I"m a complete and total amateur.)

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2019 , 9:32am
post #2 of 7

my suggestion is to make it small and use a cookie for the legs and part of the body — or make it out of chocolate aka candy clay — but at best it would be fragile with all those skinny legs and blobby bodies — where you would score on duplicating the look of it is in the coloration —

no, I got it — use homemade (obviously) candied lemon, orange, and/or grapefruit  peal!! for legs & part of the body — the recipe is google-able and it might take a few tries to get it right but it might not —

candied peal is repeatedly boiled in sugar  water, the water is discarded and repeated over and over till the taste is right —

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 11 Jul 2019 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 7

I never thought of candied peel -- I'm going to go check it out right now!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2019 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 7

blush I think that will really work 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2019 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 7

oh yeah forgot to mention that another thing that would work is pate a choux  batter — cream puff dough — it’s pipeable and would also work well for the skinny legs

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 15 Jul 2019 , 6:20am
post #6 of 7

I can't wait to see how these ones turn out!! What a great project   :)

caken4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caken4fun Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 7

The stick should be more towards the middle so the bigger part won't get too heavy and fall over after the dipping. You could make the legs out of chocolate and pipe them on wax paper then candy glue them to the body.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%