Black Buttercream

Decorating By strosgrl25 Updated 1 week ago by kakeladi

strosgrl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strosgrl25 Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 9

I have a customer that I wanting an ALL BLACK cake......uugghhh why!

1) is there another way of getting a good true black besides store bought or doing chocolate bc and adding super black coloring?

2) IF you do have done store bought (which I really do not want to do) is there a brand that you would suggest that actually tastes good?

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 9

y'know how oreos are black and delicious -- you can buy black cocoa and make it black that way -- look on amazon -- icing made black with food coloring  would be pretty icky as you know in teeth and possibly taste -- if they hate chocolate then I would recommend air brushing it black if possible --

I don't know the answer to your other question though

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 9

and since you are a new member you are not able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue the discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you can "reply" for not for a while -- I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want to

blush

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 9

Anyone who wants an all black cake gets a fondant black cake from me. Once I explain the stained teeth, etc. they are always fine with fondant, or else they can change their color.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 9

I would probably make a chocolate buttercream as dark as possible and if it was not black enough, airbrush it with black.  No black teeth!  If you don't have an airbrush, Wilton make spray color in cans that works perfectly.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 9

Yep, what they all said ^^^ :)  Best bet is what Sandra suggested.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 10 Jul 2019 , 12:07am
post #7 of 9

My brother's girlfriend's daughter wanted a 2 tier all chocolate cake covered with black buttercream and white letters for her name. I was like you have got to be flipping kidding me lmfao she definitely got a cake covered in black fondant because that was 1 task that I was not willing to take on. Nope.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 1 week ago
post #8 of 9

Truthfully, if chocolate buttercream isn't out of the question, I vote for adding black cocoa powder before ever adding any black coloring...

If it helps make an Oreo black, it can help make your buttercream more towards black...  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 week ago
post #9 of 9

Black is a mix of ALL colors so I advise my students to save all the tiny dibs &  dabs of their b’cream together in a container  in the freezer   Then when black is needed mix it up good & add some brown ( or cocoa powder), then black gel   It will take much less color to make it black so it won’t be bitter    And always make ahead — at least the night before 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%