Diy Cake Mix?

Baking By Fancyschmancy Updated 9 Jul 2019 , 2:30am by kakeladi

Fancyschmancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancyschmancy Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hello.  I have a question that I just haven't been able to figure out. I'm usually a scratch baker but tried the WASC with a cake mix, and love the ease of using oil instead of creaming or reverse creaming and the ease of changing it up. I was surprised that I liked the taste BUT where I am, people want scratch cakes without preservatives ect.  Does anyone have a cake mix DIY recipie that works for them?  I've seen a few online that mix cake flour, powdered milk, sugar, and baking powder.  It seems simple, but I've been reading these forums long enough to know that if people keep using the box in the WASC vs DIY cake mix there probably is a reason that I'm missing.  There are some smart cookies in here.

Thank you!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 5

idk -- I used the duncan hines white cake mix and it used to say right on the outside of the box that it is without any preservatives -- I haven't noticed that recently, that it's printed on the box -- but an idea from this is to learn the definition of all the ingredients in the mix you want to use and decide for yourself how egregious they are -- 

I would say that I use the best ingredients for the job -- the beauty of white cake mix especially is the oil instead of butter and the fact that you can cut a slice and leave it sit out and it will not dry out -- for example at the reception if the cake cutter cuts extra servings and leave them on the table they will be ok for a while -- also white cake made from cake mix even with the doctored ingredients added is a work horse -- I freeze my baked filled tiers and I hold the cake in the fridge throughout it being iced, thawed and decorated all the way through delivery

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 1:48am
post #3 of 5

I posted a “recipe scratch “ version but can’t link it for you as I’m using my phone   I think it’s a reply/comment near the end of the l .o .n .g  list of comments  

kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 2:18am
post #4 of 5

Try looking up this site   cdn.mycakeschool.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%