Red Velvet From Scratch Recipe Anyone

Baking By biffasworld Updated 10 Jul 2019 , 11:05am by lark6209

biffasworld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biffasworld Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 11:38am
post #1 of 11

Afternoon..

Does anyone have a red velvet recipe that i can use to be covered in fondant.. ive scoured the internet and some say yes, some say no.. i need it for a barbie doll princess cake in a few weeks so not a stacked cake.. just a cake with a doll in the middle! Do red velvet stand up to being covered in fondant, she wants ABC as the filling as well..

Thanks

10 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 11:48am
post #2 of 11

I am a huge fan of the original WASC recipe that can be found on this site (https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe).  Just use a red velvet mix and for the liquid I use milk instead of water.  This recipe gives you a moist/fluffy yet sturdy cake.  I made a whiskey barrel out of it and it held up beautifully.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 11

Yes!  The link above is the best recipe you can use — w/one exception  —  I don’t recommend using a red velvet mix   It is soooo over colored it’s unreal:(   Instead Use a yellow or fr van mix &  add just 2 Tablespoons  of unsweetened cocoa powder & about a 1/2 teaspoon of red gel color   If you used the RV mix be sure to warn everyone to be extra careful not to get any crumbs on their clothes as it stains badly!  

kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 11

Oh & yes it can take being covered in fondant  w/o a problem:)  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 11

I know you want a scratch cake and you have received doctored mix recipes -- but the average red velvet is  a little loosey goosey -- can be lots of crumbs and a very fine texture -- should be ok for the most part under fondant but I keep my cakes cold all the way through delivery so there's that -- hopefully someone with a scratch red velvet will reply -- it's not my favorite cake and I only make red velvet stuff for my son-in-law usually -- the mixes are easier because you don't have to deal with all that red food coloring --

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 11

Hey there - most of my cakes are from scratch but there’s a recipe from this site that baked up waaaay better and is super sturdy. When it was informally taste-tested with the a handful of fancy Washington DC cupcakeries, it came out on top - twice!!!

I use a HEAPING T of cocoa and just a squirt of food coloring since it’s already in the mix.

i can’t attach the link for some reason so here’s a screen shot:

Red Velvet From Scratch Recipe Anyone

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 11

If you’re still a part of this site, thank you @Beancountingbaker!

kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 11

You add MORE coloring to an already over colored mix??   That much food coloring can lend a bitter taste & will stain mouth and clothing  - unless the liquid coloring one can buy at the grocery store is used - that doesn't have the color clout gel colors have.   It basically is the *original* WASC reciep using buttermilk instead of water & an extra egg. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 8 Jul 2019 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 11

Yup. Tiny squirt! Jut enough to keep the traditional color with the added flour, sugar and other volume. No bitter taste, no dye issues. Just delicious! As you can see in their post, @beancountingbaker states “this recipe is patterned after a WASC cake”...I’m sure that’s why it’s so great! 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Jul 2019 , 3:49am
post #10 of 11

I have a lovely from scratch red velvet recipe, I'll try to post it later for you when I get home. It calls for red food colouring but I don't like to add a whole lot of it. Instead, I use LorAnn's red velvet emulsion instead which has a lovely flavour.

When cold and fully frosted it is firm enough to stand up under fondant, no worries   :)

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 10 Jul 2019 , 11:05am
post #11 of 11

I usually don't like emulsions, but I have to admit, the Lor Ann recipe for classic red velvet cake is really good.  I figure the emulsion is no worse than a ton of food coloring.  It doesn't taste like chocolate cake turned red, either.  True buttermilk red velvet.  And I've used it as the third tier on a five tier wedding cake. Held up fine under fondant.

https://www.lorannoils.com/classic-red-velvet-cake-r0061

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%