Pan Size

Baking By webberblessings Updated 25 Jun 2019 , 10:53am by -K8memphis

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 21 Jun 2019 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 12

This recipe I have says three  8x3 inch pan or 9-inch round pan. It doesn't specify if it's 3 or 2 9 inch pans. would anybody know if it would be two 9 inch pans? I only have two inch pans 2 inches deep or I have 3 8x2 pans and the recipe says if doing the 8 inch 2 inch deep then you need 4 pans.

And I have three 6x2 pans. Maybe I can do the three 8x2 and the three 6x2. 

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2019 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 12

what?

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jun 2019 , 9:06am
post #3 of 12

ok I think I got what you’re asking — first of all the 2” or 3” depth of your cake pan is irrelevant here — whenever I have a recipe like that I would prefer to use three 8-inch pans — but second choice is using two 9-inch pans — 

then there’s not enough batter in one recipe to fill three 8-inch pans and any additional 6-inch pans unless you make more than one recipe — 

is that what you meant?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 12

I had to read it a few times to understand but I think what I would do is prepare the 3  eight inch pans you have. Measure the batter and divide by 4. Pour 1/4 into each pan reserving 1/4. Bake 3 layers.  Cool in pan required time and turn out. Clean and prepare one pan and pour in reserved 1/4 batter. Bake as before. Cake will be fine for the 45 minutes or so that the batter waits before that last quarter gets baked as long as your room temperature is below 75F or so.

webberblessings Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you both for your advice

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 12

you’re very welcome — did we get what you meant?

webberblessings Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 12:07am
post #7 of 12

Yes, very much. I think I will either do the three 8 inch pans or maybe the two 9 inch pans. Maybe I might even go buy another 8 inch pan since the recipe suggest four 8x2 pans. Could probably always use more pans.

webberblessings Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 12:12am
post #8 of 12

Thank you for the tip on the batter being okay for 45 minutes. I always thought it had to be baked right away. Should I put it covered in the refrigerator? You said room temperature, so I guess it's okay to wait on the counter, but should it be covered? 

Sorry for earlier post being confusing. I knew it would be but I was having a hard time trying to put it into words what I was thinking. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 12:53am
post #9 of 12

Well, personally for that length of time - if your kitchen isn't over 75F I would just leave it on the counter uncovered. It will still rise, there is no health risk. If you have a commercial kitchen and have specific food safety regulations to adhere to that is another story. If you are worried about it, you can refrigerate the batter covered but I wouldn't be bothered. The eggs and other ingredients are well under any food spoiling rules and I can tell you from personal experience that baking powder and/or soda remain active for that time.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 12

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 12

I meant to say - no need to apologize - sometimes it is harder to write than to say what you want face to face. I figured it was my old brain being fuzzy so it took a few reads...lol!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 10:53am
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%