Wilton Forums Disappearance

Lounge By SquirrellyCakes Updated 23 Jun 2019 , 6:17pm by jchuck

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 3:35am
post #1 of 8

So when did Wilton do away with the Discussion forums? I never received any notice that they were being deleted - did they send out notice to members? 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2019 , 12:11am
post #2 of 8

idk — wasn’t it several years ago?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 21 Jun 2019 , 1:21am
post #3 of 8

That long ago? I never received any notification that they were deleting all the files. I had some info on there that I did not keep backup on when I posted it. Live and learn.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 21 Jun 2019 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 8

Wilton got bought out by a German company I’m guessing two years ago now??? I only know this because several months back, there was a discussion on one of my decorating FB pages about Wilton’s products. Apparently the fondant, gumpaste, modelling chocolate, wafers etc. formulas have changed. And NOT for the better. Especially the fondant. Big complaints about that. I’m in Canada, and in the city where I live,  the majority of Wilton products are sold at Michael’s Craft store. Just unbelievably expensive. So I don’t ever buy it. I have on a rare occasion bought out of desperation. But that was years ago. I kinda remember being in the middle of a cake and realizing  I desperately needed red fondant. My usual store didn’t have any.  Think I lucked out and was fortunate to have a Michael’s 50% coupon. 

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 21 Jun 2019 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 8

Michael's has jacked the price of the Wilton fondant up to $24.99 I think. Used to be a lot less. For a while, they had it for $16.99' and coupons didn't apply anymore.

I only use it for dummy cakes, so I thought it was ridiculous.  I checked Amazon, and they sell the same large box for under $12.

jchuck Posted 21 Jun 2019 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 8

If memory serves me correctly, I believe Wilton’s fondant was closer to $30 CAD. So I paid $15 + tax. And that was for only 2 lbs!!! I can buy a 5 lb of Virgin Ice (A Canadian brand) fondant at a local Bulk store, and I usually use either a $3 coupon, or go on seniors day where I get a discount. So I get it for $10.  My Bulk store just started carrying Satin Ice in a ton of colours. It’s a bit more pricey, but with my coupon/seniors discount, it’s not too bad. Satin Ice isn’t my preferred fondant, a bit stretchy for me. But I add a touch of tylose powder and some icing sugar, and it’s good to go. It’s just great to be able to buy purple, lime green, bright pink, and not having to fuss about making it. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 3:33am
post #7 of 8

jchuck - I am in Ottawa. I have never seen Satin Ice in our Bulk Barn. I too buy the Virgin Ice. Bulk Barn gardly carries any Wilton stuff anymore.  Where are you getting your tylose? I saw it once at Bulk Barn a few years ago and then no longer. 

jchuck Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 8

Ahhhh Ottawa SquirrellyCakes....I miss it. Daughter lived in Kanata at one time. The Byward market...loved it. Each Bulk Barn is individually owned. So each owner carries what sells. I have 2 Bulk Barns in Burlington. One had just a ton of Wilton stuff, but that owner sold, and there not carrying much Wilton anymore. But they both sell Satin Ice. But only one store sells styrofoam dummies. And not all sizes anymore. They are cheap..$2-$5. My BB always has tylose powder. But neither have had meringue powder for over a year. BB can’t seem to get it. So I got off of Amazon. I’m fortunate I have McCall’s decorating warehouse in Mississauga. It’s only 40 minutes away. Use to be only open to decorator groups an d pros. I was a member of CCDG, so got free entry. When that went south, McCall’s started offering $10 hobby baker memberships. Totally worth it cause I buy flavourings, dummies, and their brand of fondant and buttercream icing. BC for practice and covering dummies. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%