Please Help!! Need Curriculum For 6 Week Decorating Class For Middle School Girls

Decorating By Henna Updated 27 Jun 2019 , 12:07am by zjones4

Henna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 2:35am
post #1 of 10

Hi ladies!
The local camp that my kids will be going to ask me to teach a 6 part cake decorating class for middle school girls.  I want to teach them the basics so they will have a good foundation to build on but I also want it to be fun for them.  Does anyone here have a curriculum for a class like this?  I took my intro classes over 15 years ago and I am very rusty on what to teach and how.  I have decorated a decent amount of cakes but have never taught cake decorating before.
I'm really hoping someone here can help.  I'm not really sure where to start

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 2:54am
post #2 of 10

That’s a hard thing — it takes soooo much equipment:(   Will the kids be given a cake to work on/equipment?  What equipment will be available? Enough for each or one to share?  Soooo many things to consider:(  Maybe spend an hour talking about how to bake?  Next show the proper equipment along w/simple substitutions   Like using a baggie instead of piping bag; how to cut parchment bags instead of having tips; using canned icing—heating it for crumbs coat;   That’s about all I can think of now

kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 3:04am
post #3 of 10

As for actual work start w/stars & dots making them into a border; simple drop flowers-how to turn them into a “bunch “ &/or grouping   Now they have a pretty cake   Find some simple design for boys too   My method of teaching is show the technique then go around seeing that each is doing it right then move to another level   I’ll see if I can find any of my old notes & get back to you 

Henna Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 3:04am
post #4 of 10

The kids will each be getting an equipment kit.  I want to keep it as small (low cost) as possible but yet still have what they need.   They can practice on cakes or boards.
(what is this about heating canned icing for a crumb coat? I never heard that before.  I usually make my own icing and thin it down. Can you give me more info?)

kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 5:24am
post #5 of 10

Canned frosting becomes thin when it stirred but to use as a crumb coat just melt it by heating in a MW for a few seconds   I suggest spooning out a small amount depending on the size of the cake   Any leftovers are not any good to use again   The same thing can be done w/any frosting no need to thin it    Once melted pour it over the cake & quickly spread it down the sides all over the cake   It dries quickly like a glaze, sealing in crumbs & moisture   Then a finish coat of icing can be made   Yes they can practice on  a board but should do a real cake as a final   It’s different working on the real thing - even if just a 6”  single layer   

Henna Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 10

My mind is blown about heating the icing.  What a great idea!

Henna Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 10

My mind is blown about heating the icing.  What a great idea!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 10:50am
post #8 of 10

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 12:49am
post #9 of 10

bump

zjones4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zjones4 Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 12:07am
post #10 of 10

I would do the following.  My experience and upbringing is different, so you may have to adapt it to your circumstances.  But this something I think I would do...

1. Buttercream: ABC and SMBC- making, crumb coats, final coats, layering, storing and other freezer/fridge tricks of the trade.
  2. Mousse and borders:  Fill in cakes w/ mousse, practice borders and refine last weeks intro.  Mousse may seem to be a tangent, but making a mouse is very easy and is a valuable skill.  I would also include jam layers.
  3. BC decorations: Carrots, leafs, spheres (great for setting a nut or something on top), rosettes.
  4. Mirror glazing and ganache.  This will give them a sense of how to use other items for glazing, icing, and how to cover a cake in general.
  5. BC flowers, practice items covered so far
  6. Covering a cake with fondant.  Practicing more flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%