Sheet Cake Size

Baking By ajclucas Updated 13 Jun 2019 , 9:54pm by -K8memphis

ajclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajclucas Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to make a sheet cake for a birthday to feed 30-40 people.  The 12X18 cake tin looks huge when I try and imagine it feeding that many people.  The 11X15 looks more reasonable.....what do you all suggest I use?  The 11X15 with half dozen cupcakes or just go ahead with the 12X18?  I hate to seem wasteful by making such a large cake.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 7

one layer sheet servings get a 2x2” serving size — if they have not ordered cupcakes I would not presume to re-arrange their order — I would do the larger size pan — you could slice off a section to make it fit better — like slice off a 2x18 strip so you’d be left with a 16x12 so 48 servings — maybe something like that— actually i’d do one inch off each end 

ajclucas Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much, K8memphis!  I can always depend on the expertise of this site!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 7

I definitely suggest using the larger size   Unless there’s been changes the cake will fill up the board so cut just an inch off the long side so you have room for the base border   There will be many times when you will have to make a cake a bit bigger than asked for—more servings in order to fit the pans available & this is one of them   The 11x15 is only going to give you 30-35 servings   You probably need to check w/your customer to see if they want *just* enough or have a few over —for second helpings:)  

ajclucas Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks Kakeladi.  I like seconds......:)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 7

I would go for the larger pan also.  A little extra cake makes for good will.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 7

yes and you just want to figure if you are selling sheet cakes or cakes by the serving — then the client can decide if they want to serve a little smaller slice or go with the generous one — because that is an awkward size for a sheet cake — it sits in the valley between a quarter sheet and a half sheet — so anyhow...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%