Need Advice Please

Business By Shelbeexx Updated 13 Jun 2019 , 5:55pm by kakeladi

Shelbeexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelbeexx Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 9:57am
post #1 of 4

Hi I ordered a wedding cake and placed £80 deposit with a private cake maker who works from home. 

The cake is needed for June 13 2020

over year away . 

Weddings been cancelled so I messaged and asked for my deposit back and she is refusing saying deposit is non refundable , yet before placing a deposit with her , during and after .. she has never once mentioned this until now

what are my rights ?? 

TIA

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 4

That’s a tough one   Each person has the right to make their own business rules   As a general rule deposits are non refundable—but that should be explained in the contract you both signed     The reason for a deposit is to hold that date just for you but now you don’t need it.  It’s possible  baker has turned away  several other requests  for that day  —maybe even more expensive than your order was— so the deposit will compensate her.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 4

I only know u.s. laws so here it depends on what the contract says -- but I used to have a non-refundable deposit, a "retainer" -- but I explained in detail that it was non-refundable and why -- actually each of the payments I explained --

did you sign anything while you were there? since she did not explain it to you -- surely she can recoup the order for another wedding since it is not only the biggest wedding month of the year qnd a full year away --

I would check the fine print if you indeed signed something and go after your money if there's nothing you signed that can come back and bite you --

we have a popular judge show here in the u.s. and a similar retainer versus deposit thing came up and the judge made the person refund her money -- a situation where she had done a tiny bit of work initially but no goods of any kind were delivered in any way -- just like writing up the order and doing that kind of 'work' --

so yeah go for it

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 4

I take it you are a new person/poster on this board.  If so you will not be allowed to reply to any post for a certain time frame (30 days?) sooo if you wish to reply to any discussion just start a new post referring to the one you are replying to.  Most of us know about this and understand so when a new post about the same thing already posted shows up we don't mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%