Stale Cupcake Help!

Baking By Aeris89 Updated 4 Jun 2019 , 4:19pm by -K8memphis

Aeris89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeris89 Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 3

Hello!

I am baking for my nephew's graduation party and have to make 3 kinds of cupcakes. I have to bake and make all the frostings the day before because I'm helping setup the day of. I am going to frost and decorate the day of about an hour before party time. My chocolate and vanilla variation are not a concern, because I can safely leave them at room temp until I frost, however, I am making Blue Velvet cupcakes with a cheesecake swirl baked in. I obviously have to refrigerate them until the day of but when I tested the recipe (they were so fluffy and soft after baking) but when I  put them in the fridge, the next day they were tasting stale and kind of hard/dry. 

I'm in a pickle because I want them to be soft for the party but need to refrigerate them leading up to the party. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to make it less stale? Would just bringing them out about an hour or 2 before the party starts (and bringing them closer to room temp) help soften them again and reduce the stale taste? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 3

My thoughts are about the recipe—is it a scratch one?   If the cuppies  are made with butter they will be a bit dry when they come out of the refrigerator—something about the butter not relaxing   K8 is the one who knows what to do   She ‘ll jump in here soon for you  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 3

what about if you get everything measured out ready to go and bake them that morning close to serving time — you only have a total of four hours to allow cream cheese to be out of temperature — that includes drinking home from the store with it, letting it soften so it will emulsify, bake time, display time, etc—  but you could maybe get everything ready, pans lined with liners, eggs cracked, milk & whatever ingredients measured ready to be tossed together & slapped in the oven last minute —

or you could do a vanilla swirl in the cupcake and insert a cream cheese filling an hour before serve time —

but if you use butter in the cake batter and fridge the baked cakes they will seem dry at room temp because butter holds tight unlike oil that is loose at room temp —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%