Friday Night Cake Club For 05/31/19

Decorating By kstevens Updated 4 Jun 2019 , 3:17pm by kstevens

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 2:20am
post #1 of 12

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

I finished up a cake earlier tonight to be delivered tomorrow.  I will post pictures tomorrow once I photograph it.  I have another cake due on Monday and have most of the details made for it. I was feeling a little overwhelmed earlier in the week about getting everything done but am feeling pretty good about it all now.  I'm not sure why but I seem to have more anxiety about cakes lately than I did when I first started. Does anyone else experience this? 

Looking forward to seeing what you've all been up to.

Kelly

11 replies
LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 10:39am
post #2 of 12

Hi all.

Kelly, I don't have cake-specific anxiety, but I have a general issue with it. However, this week I had a dream so real, like I was able to taste the cake real, about a cake Fail minutes before delivery. In the dream, I took it out of the fridge - and it was all ruined, something happened to it that made it go from picture-perfect to a lopsided, shrunken, sunken mess. It was sheer panic, and trying to last-minute fix it, but it just kept falling apart (the Virginia Tech cake below). I was very relieved to wake up and see it just fine and waiting to be picked up

Anyway, so two cakes for this weekend - a high school graduation/college acceptance/lacrosse combo, and a Harry Potter Dobby Elf cake - I posted the topper before, I think. 

Friday Night Cake Club For 05/31/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/31/19

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 12

I just love Dobby. Your dream sounds more like a nightmare. 

Kelly I always have cake  anxiety. I think it has gotten worse, because people expect more with all the cakes are done. I am really nervous about next week because I am doing a wedding cake. That I will have to but together on site. That and I am using artificial flowers. So keeping my fingers crossed.

I did 3 graduation cakes that were all the same simple and easy. 

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 12

I made this for a charity bake off. It’s based on this one. I wouldn’t normally copy something quite so closely but I was a bit short on time. http://www.cakesbylynz.co.uk/index.php/2019/01/a-giant-slice-of-cake-tutorial/

It’s 6” high with 5 layers of lemon sponge with lemon buttercream and homemade raspberry filling. I think the number of layers and slippery filling are clearly causing problems as it’s leaning quite a bit. I’m hoping it will survive the competition. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 2 Jun 2019 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 12

Guys, your work amazes me!

I just delivered a buttercream cake after they changed the venue from their house to the POOL!! And it’s 85 DEGREES out!!!!

I was like....what???! Guys...you can’t have this cake out here for two hours!!!

so they agreed to cut the cake first and then go swimming :).

Whew.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 12

I had a Spider-Man cake for a birthday party this weekend.  I recently purchased a clay extruder to get thin, even ropes of fondant and am so happy that I did because making that Spider-Man cake without it would have been a killer on my hands.  I had contemplated piping the web design but I am not the steadiest when it comes to piping details.

I definitely get overwhelmed/anxiety when it comes to the cakes I have lined up.  Just last night every time I would wake up I would immediately start thinking about what I needed to do and how I was going to get X, Y and Z done.  Really puts a damper on the sleep I get.

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 12

Clay Extruders - LOVE them!

Awesome Spiderman cake

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 12

Freckles your Spider-Man cake is sooo awesome!           MerMade   Nice doll.  Don’t you just wonder what people are doing when they do something like that   Louglou can’t tell which one is inspiration & which is the copy—you nailed for sure       Marian —nice work—very neat                 Lelek-wow that VT is so neat & the other one too                                                             Just to let you all know I struggled with anxiety sooo bad it was part of the reason I closed my bakery   Just waiting for a consultation appointment to show up I would have my head in the toilet upchucking :(  My hands would shake so bad I’d have trouble piping but mostly it was the hurling that was so annoying    I spent way to much time in the bathroom:(  

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 7:31am
post #9 of 12

My week ended with 2 graduation cakes, a retirement cake & a wedding cake. The Dr Seuss one’s paint job is pretty lousy. I can’t seem to draw a straight line anymore. It was a fun cake to make though. Fortunately, all of this week’s cakes were fairly easy and I was thrilled when the last one went out the door. I also delivered a wedding cake to find that it was an outdoor wedding but they put the cake in the house till the last minute. (I hope)Friday Night Cake Club For 05/31/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/31/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/31/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/31/19

kstevens Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 12

@LelekBolek both of your cakes look great! Maybe one if these days I'll sit down and watch the Harry Potter movies. 

@Marian64 yourvgrad caps look perfect!

@louglou that slice of cake is very cute!

@MerMadeBakedGoods glad they decided to eat the cake first so it didn't end up a melted heap!

@Freckles0829 your Spiderman cake looks awesome! 

@Evy911 your cakes all turned out great but the Dr. Seuss one is my favorite. 

My cake for Saturday was the fifth year that I have made Jenna's birthday cake. It was booked months ago ago which time she requested a fox then they got a puppy and she decided that is what she wanted for her cake.  I explained that realistic animal cakes are not in my wheelhouse and they were fine with that.  I followed the sheepdog cake tutorial by Zoe's Fancy Cakes to make it and they loved it! 

The cake I made for yesterday was to celebrate 10 years for a non profit group. They sent me their logo to incorporate on the cake. It was a bright and cheery cake to combat our dull rainy weather.

kstevens Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 12

kstevens Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%