Doctored Cake Mix Collapse

Baking By catgirl Updated 3 Jun 2019 , 8:33pm by -K8memphis

catgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catgirl Posted 31 May 2019 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 21

I like using the durable cake mix recipe for some of my cakes. When I bake a marble cake, it turns out beautifully!  However when I bake a vanilla cake, it collapses within a few minutes of coming out of the oven. It looks like a moon crater. This does not ever happen with the fudge marble. 

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this or what I’m doing wrong?  

Thanks 

20 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2019 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 21

idk -- maybe up the flour a bit or get a different recipe -- the chocolate makes your result more stable --

yeah I just checked and this recipe was posted before cake mixes were changed -- in fact I believe cake mixes have gone through several changes since that was written so -- yes definitely add some more flour or three ounces of cake mix -- now mixes typically have 15 ounces of powder -- so if you divide it into five equal parts that's approx. 3 ounces -- if you don't have a scale

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2019 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 21
MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 31 May 2019 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 21

Oh it's awful, I haven't found a brand that will work with our old reliable recipes. Even if you add enough mix to equal the same weight they used to be, they are still crap. They've added more leavening to get more volume out of less mix. Huge holes, tunnels, fallen cakes, bad taste, etc. someone told me Aldi mixes were good, I've been there 3 times and they are always out of stock, said a guy comes in there and buys them all up. I don't think you can buy them online. Shame on all of them....Pillsbury, Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker.....we don't like what you did to us American bakers!

catgirl Posted 31 May 2019 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 21

Hi K8-Memphis. That’s the recipe I use and love. I have seen other recipes that call for more oil, no water and sour cream. I’m so frustrated.

I baked one last night and it fell and I threw it out. I had to find a vanilla cake recipe fast. I had one but it was kind of dry. I tried another one bit it was very pale and smelled floury.   I’d love to find a moist good tasting vanilla cake recipe. 

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2019 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 21

catgirl -- hey

I use a

duncan hines cake mix (I buy two and put in the extra 3 ounces of mix)

2 egg whites plus 2 whole eggs  or sometimes 3 egg whites plus 1 whole egg

1/3 cup oil 

1 cup water

I cup sugar

I cup self rising flour

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2019 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 21

mamageese -- exactly additional leavening -- 

catgirl Posted 31 May 2019 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 21

Thank you K8-Memphis!  I’ll try that. I like using the Duncan Hines mixes too. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2019 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 21

This recipe still works fine even with the smaller size of mixes :  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

It works with *any* cake flavor and *any* liquid used.  I don't ever remember having a problem - well except when I used a commercial mix (*50# bags) that I was told was the same as a box of Pillsburry;  that ended up being a mixing problem - once that was correct it work fine .     I haveused the WASC recipe for years and even now I don't add anything to the recipe even though the size is a bit smaller.  As for adding more mix go ahead.  The baking I do now is just for family or close friend so the slightly small results doesn't bother me in the least. 

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2019 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 21

catgirl, hope you find one you love!

best to you 

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2019 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 21

catgirl catgirl catgirl wait wait wait

and 1 cup of sour cream

when i go to the computer i’ll repost the whole thing 

catgirl Posted 31 May 2019 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 21

Sounds good k8-Memphis. I’ll wait for the recipe. Thanks 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 21

k8"s wedding cake :)

you can put extra flavoring in the cake batter if you want but I never remember to -- I use a grand marnier splash on this and I use a berry filling* and a whipped cream strawberry** filling -- I torte the two layers per each tier so I have what will look like four layers of cake in each tier -- and the berry filing goes into the top and bottom sections -- the whipped cream & strawberries goes in the middle filling section

duncan hines cake mix (I buy two and put in the extra 3 ounces of mix)

2 egg whites plus 2 whole eggs OR 3 egg whites plus 1 whole egg for a whiter cake

1/3 cup oil  

1 cup water

I cup sugar

I cup self rising flour

1 cup of sour cream

blush

*berry filling is berry filling combined with lemon cream --

berry filling is a lot of strawberries plus blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or whatever berries you want and a couple granny smith apples -- must be a tart apple for the pectin -- a dash of lemon juice -- a tiny bit of sugar if necessary -- cook it all the way down till there is no water in it -- test a bit by putting a small spoonful in a saucer -- set it on a towel on an angle and wait for it to cool and if it does not weep -- it's done -- strain -- mmm 

lemon cream is   

1.5 cups sugar

5 lemons, the zest of'

6 large eggs

1cup + 2 T lemon juice

one pound of softened butter divided in half

make it like regular lemon curd using half the butter 

then when it is still warm enough to melt the additional softened not cold butter, put the curd in the blender and add the rest of the butter in increments whirling on high quickly so you don't lose the heat -- absolutely ridiculous, kicked up lemon cream!

**be sure to make ***proper whipped cream which will automatically stabilize itself -- stabilize meaning does not weep -- put a layer on the cake between the security dam of buttercream around the edge -- wash dry and cut a lot of strawberries with a very sharp knife -- so they don't bleed -- into small pieces -- so the cake serves easily -- and layer them like a thick tight mosaic on top of the layer of whipped cream -- then cover them with a layer of whipped cream -- add the next layer --

***proper whipped cream -- it turns to butter if whipped too long yes? so whip it to right before it turns to butter when it is nice and thick -- it should be leaving serious tracks that remain when you look through the beaters and remain when you stop the beaters -- and it should hold securely when you remove the beater and turn the bowl upside down -- not whimpy gimpy -- nice and firm -- when you practice, if you need to, let a bit sit out at room temp and see how it holds up -- if it stays exactly the same for a couple hours -- you're good 

even if you never make k8's wedding cake -- there are a lot of good tips in there --

don't forget the rub the lemon zest with some of the sugar to release the oil -- rub until the fragrance is heavenly lemonly

best to you

MamaGeese Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 4:12pm
post #14 of 21
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 4:23pm
post #15 of 21

I don't know what I am missing.  I use kakeladi's *Original* WASC frequently, usually adding in an extra 1/2 cup of cake mix from an extra box (for a single recipe) and I have no problems at all.  I seen pictures of cakes with the large air pockets, but I've never had a problem with the texture and they are always good.  I use either Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker cake mixes.

kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 21

Usually tunnels & holes etc are signs of over mixing at too high mixer speed   I never mix at anything over 3 on a KA mixer   I’ve made some w/ a hand held mixer that to me has to high  a speed for the low & not much difference in the other speeds still don’t get tunnels   Are you bumping your pan on the counter at least 3-4 times after filling?  Also let it sit Maybe 5-10 minuets so the bubbles rise to the top & use toothpick to break them If the cake is falling there probably is something wrong with the oven temp   Have you had it checked?   Do you have a oven thermometer in?  Do you open the oven to close on it?  When does falling happen?  Part way through the baking; as soon as it is removed from the oven; a bit later as it cools?  These are things to consider—maybe with some answers we can pinpoint the problem 

MamaGeese Posted 2 Jun 2019 , 12:29pm
post #17 of 21

Kakeladi, the only thing I haven't tried is letting the pans with batter sit a few minutes so bubbles will rise, I will try that. Also regarding whipped cream, I found a whipping cream stabilizer on Amazon that I use and I love it. It's called Whip-it. Made by Dr. Oetker. I add it when I add powdered sugar (1packet per 1 cup of cream). It has no taste and the whipped cream stays perfect for days. I also use it in my cream cheese icing, helps give it a little more body and holds up longer. 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jun 2019 , 3:10pm
post #18 of 21

fwiw you can also drag a butter knife through the batter to pull out bubbles -- pull it through like you are cutting the batter -- go 'round in circles or back & forth or both -- like do that if you want to after dropping on the counter once or twice --

catgirl Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 4:24pm
post #19 of 21

Kakeladi, 

I don’t bump the pans before going in the oven. They look great when they come out of the oven but fall into weird shape a few minutes after coming out of the oven. It’s almost as if it’s too soft to hold up. I use the exact same recipe and do the exact same things with the fudge marble mix and it turns out beautifully - flat and rises nicely with no falling. 

kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 7:18pm
post #20 of 21

.............. look great when they come out of the oven but fall into weird shape a few minutes after coming out of the oven...........

That sounds to me like you are not letting them bake enough.   Have your oven ck'd then let them stay in the turned off oven an extra couple of minutes.  That might help -- it's about all I can think of.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 8:33pm
post #21 of 21

since the chocolate comes ok — all you have to do is add some flour or some more cake mix —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%