Help! Customer Said Cake Fell Apart!

Decorating By Baker96 Updated 26 May 2019 , 11:53pm by -K8memphis

Baker96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker96 Posted 26 May 2019 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 3

I made a two tier Dulce De Leche cake with Swiss merengue buttercream and put 5 dowel rods in the bottom and one going through the center of the top tier all the way through even the cake board in the bottom. It was a 7 inch over a 9inch cake. I had been decorating the cake in an unconditioned environment unfortunately but still no matter how I moved the cake it seemed very sturdy, even when I patted the top tier to make sure the sprinkles were well in. Once I put it into the box I kept the cake in the fridge for two hours before the customer picked up and the box was even cold when I gave it to them. An hour later I get a call that the cake fell apart. I just don’t know whether to believe my filling could have melted or did it take a hit in their car. I’ve never had this happen before but I can say I’ve had a cake filling melt which was an experimental cak and filling had splurged out but this one doesn’t have that. Help! Customer Said Cake Fell Apart!Help! Customer Said Cake Fell Apart!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 May 2019 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 3

...............two tier Dulce De Leche cake with Swiss merengue buttercream .........

Never worked with either of those mediumns but DDL cakes are *VERY!* moist and unstable from what I understand.  I refused to make them for few times I was asked to.   It looks a bit like it might have been dropped or maybe driven by a careless driver {going around corners on two wheels ;) }

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 May 2019 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 3

so sorry that happened -- it looks like the layers are sliding apart -- if you put the cake in the fridge in that box then it insulated the cake from the cold air of the fridge for two hours -- maybe that's why it slid apart -- so so sorry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%