A Giant Leap- I Did It!

Decorating By Pamalam Updated 5 Jun 2019 , 4:16pm by -K8memphis

Pamalam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamalam Posted 26 May 2019 , 3:42am
post #1 of 12

Today, I delivered my third wedding cake. I worked on it all week and it was a hit! My first wedding cake was for my son's wedding. We had to transport it from SC to Memphis. It turned out great. My second wedding cake was for a friend. On the day we delivered it, we returned home to change clothes, grab a bite, and return to the reception because they wanted me to cut the cake.  As we are about to leave, I received a phone call that changed my life. My aunt was calling to tell me my mom had died. She took her life. Needless, to say, I was in shock. That was in 2015. I could not make a cake after that for a very long time, especially a wedding cake. So, the good news is this week I made my third wedding cake! God is good and there is always hope! 

11 replies
MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 26 May 2019 , 4:04am
post #2 of 12

Congratulations! It is a wonderful thing that you can once again find joy in something you truly love to do. I’m sure your journey has been a difficult one-welcome back to baking!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 May 2019 , 4:05am
post #3 of 12

Aww, Pamalam, your message made me cry.  I am so sorry for your shocking loss.  Happy you can once again enjoy baking and decorating.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 May 2019 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 12

wow what a great achievement for you — so very sorry about your mom — congratulations on moving forward with helping create a momentous occasion for the happy couple as well as a wonderful personal  accomplishment for you! two_hearts

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 May 2019 , 11:53am
post #5 of 12

What a devastating loss. I can certainly understand you’re not being interested in making a wedding cake, or any cake for that matter. God and time heals wounds, although we never, ever forget. Yes God is good, and there is always hope...

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 27 May 2019 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 12

My mom died last summer and I completely understand.  It took several months before I could bake again.  And I am still struggling ...I seem to have lost my touch.  But I am so thankful that she was at my house last summer and got to see me do a wedding cake before she died.  She loved watching me decorate and had not seen me do a wedding cake.  I'm so glad your cake turned out well!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 May 2019 , 12:58am
post #7 of 12

Just moving this up ahead of all that ugly spam

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 5:08am
post #8 of 12

I feel for you ladies. I lost my mother last summer. I had the opposite reaction, though.  My mother worked in a bakery many, many years ago. She'd still make free wedding cakes, and 1st birthday cakes for family members, and was really good at what she did. Last summer, I promised my wife and a friend that I'd make cakes for them even though I'd never made a layer cake before. Of course, my mom was the first person I went to for help. She showed me how to build them... pipe the buttercream dams, stack the layers, and frost them.  It was a lot of fun. It was the last thing we did together because she passed a week and a half later. I had never intended on making anything other than those two cakes, but I've stuck with it.  I really enjoy creating new recipes and learning new skills.  I give away nearly everything that I make... mostly to family and friends for their birthdays and special events.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 9:17am
post #9 of 12

sweet sweet memories with your lovely mom, thatcakedude

and cutiger — more sweet sweet memories — give yourself plenty of time — it will all come back to you and more

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 9:30am
post #10 of 12

my little mom passed many years ago, sniff— but I remember the first cake I did after that — my heart really wasn’t in it but I did a butter pecan with a rum splash for a pot luck at work — I think mom sprinkled some spooffle dust on it or something because it was especially remarkably irresistible — thanks mom

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 12

Oh Pamalam thank you for sharing your story!  Definitely bittersweet - you can add my tears to this as well!  But congrats to you for doing it!!

Both my parents have passed and my Dad was my best cake-tester!  I wonder every time I make something new how much he would love it - and I got my skill set from my Mom, so I know she adds a little something to everything I do too. (Like K8!) I hope you can find comfort in doing things you like to do Pamalam - I do!

Let's all raise a cookie or 3 as a toast! 

with love,

T

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 12

you got this, pamalam! heart

wine_glasscheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%