Help With Coloring Various Frostings

Decorating By Sarah.W Updated 25 May 2019 , 5:53pm by -K8memphis

Sarah.W Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah.W Posted 25 May 2019 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 3

I would like deep, bright colors for my stablized whipped cream frosting. I'm able to make regular colors just fine. But I'm having trouble with deep, bold yet bright colors (jewel tones?) such as deep red, deep teal, deep purple, deep green, etc. I use gel food color and I am able to get regular tones. But if I add more gel when trying to make the color really bold.....it ruins the whipped cream. Does anyone have any tips on how to achieve  rich colors in whipped cream frosting? (I stabilize my whipped cream with either mascarpone, cream cheese, or dry instant pudding mix...depending on my mood. I frost and also pipe with this frosting.) Someone had suggested that I airbrush the gel colors onto the decorated cake, but I don't want to do that.  

Also:  I have been trying to make colors using color charts but when something calls for....let's say 24 drops yellow and 2 drops blue, I can't even imagine putting that much food coloring into a batch of stabilized whipped cream! Are those directions for liquid color? I only use gel colors. 

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2019 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 3

Usually those directions  are for liquid colors but I have had some success with gel IN Buttercream—not whipped cream 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2019 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 3

you are asking for something that I think is impossible unless you try the only possibility that i know of which is airbrushing -- unless you whip the cream to one second before it turns to butter -- maybe but I don't think so -- or add powdered color to piping gel and add that -- I don't know -- and the taste of the color is likely to come through loud and clear because whipped cream is so light even with the cream cheese or marscapone --

you of course keep these refrigerated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%