Outside Buttercream Ideas?

Decorating By Naty Updated 26 May 2019 , 4:29pm by -K8memphis

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 24 May 2019 , 10:06am
post #1 of 10

Hi. Just got the awesome news that the baby shower cake im doing for 80 guests will be in a park, in s shelter in the middle of June in Miami. Who does this? An event outside in June in Florida? Well, it is what it is so my buttercream definitely has to change.

I  usually do Wiltons 1/2 butter 1/2 shotening. Will this hold out in a shelter for 6 hours? 

My other option is an all shortening buttercream i guess but im not crazy about the greasy flavor.

Any ideas?

Thank you

9 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 May 2019 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 10

I don't think any frosting will hold up to Florida temperatures outside for six hours, not even ganache.  If you are delivering the cake, you should advise your client that you will deliver shortly prior to serving or let her know that she should do the same thing, if she is doing the delivery.  Some people are nuts!  I would not even want to attend a party at a park, in Miami, in June, for five hours unless it was on the beach and I was wearing a swim suit!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2019 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 10

omg -- six hours -- absurd

-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2019 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 10

weddings don't even last for 6 hours -- I mean I get it that they have to set up etc but wow

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 May 2019 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 10

Can’t agree with the others more!   I have never been to FL summer or winter but no cake should sit outside w/temps over 70 for more than a couple of hours if that 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 May 2019 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 10

It's  90 f. outside on the porch today, and I can barely stand to be outside for a few minutes here in Florida.  I'd never in a million years put any kind of cake outside for more than a few minutes.  Maybe just long enough for photos or cutting.  It's insanely hot & humid here in Florida and it's only May.

I don't think that you should put a cake out any longer than you'd put ice cream out and not expect it to melt.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really miss Alaska on days like this. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 25 May 2019 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 10

That is BANANAS!!

I vote for a “naked cake” with something else in between the layers, like a sturdier fruit, chopped nuts, maybe a SMIDGE Of super thick ganache in the way center so it won’t drip out, or a drizzle...

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 26 May 2019 , 1:40am
post #8 of 10

Wow...thanks for all the replies! I like the naked cake idea. I will see if it flies with the mom-to-be.. if i do a fruit in the middle wouldnt that spoil in the heat? What kind of frosting? All shortening i presume? And what recipe for ganache?

I also thought of maybe taking the cakes and keeping them over sry ice? Anyone has done this?

I have no options but to go and be there for the baby shower. Its for my fiance's daughter-in-law....this will be his 1st grandchild.

Thank you all.....sorry i feel such presure and i really appreciate all of your help

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 May 2019 , 3:58am
post #9 of 10

I made an Icing Smiles birthday cake last year that had to travel 18 hours in the back of a pickup truck!  I almost croaked.  I made a cute dummy cake with candles and a large sheet cake for eating.  The cake was well packaged and sealed in a heavy box and the grandmother, who was driving, packed around the box with dry ice.  It made it in perfect condition, much to my shock and delight.  

-K8memphis Posted 26 May 2019 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 10

you’re right, no fruit — 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%