Saran Wrap A Crumb Coated Cake

Decorating By aalisha Updated 24 May 2019 , 5:24pm by aalisha

aalisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aalisha Posted 23 May 2019 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a fondant wrapped wedding cake for Saturday. I have crumb coated one of the tiers and just wondering if I need to Saran wrap the cake to prevent it from drying. I will be keeping it in the fridge until tomorrow to wrap it in Fondant. Any recommendations will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot for any advise

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2019 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 8

yes cover it well to protect from the drying air in the fridge and from smells too — i’m assuming it’s a home fridge —

aalisha Posted 23 May 2019 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 8

Yes. It's a home fridge. I have wrapped it with Saran wrap. How would you flip a 14" second layer on the base layer. I am so scared it might break. Any suggestions? I have already cracked one of the 14" layer which I am going to lay as the vase on the cake board so I don't have to worry about flipping it on to anything and worsening it all the more..

aalisha Posted 23 May 2019 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 8

Yes. It's a home fridge. I have wrapped it with Saran wrap. How would you flip a 14" second layer on the base layer. I am so scared it might break. Any suggestions? I have already cracked one of the 14" layer which I am going to lay as the vase on the cake board so I don't have to worry about flipping it on to anything and worsening it all the more..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 May 2019 , 5:02am
post #5 of 8

Normally I would say no but the fact it is going in the family frig I guess you should   Once a cake is crumb coated it is sealed & will not dry out   It could be left on the counter for 3-4 days   Ideally instead of wrapping the cake I would suggest it be put in a cake box then the whole thing put ina plastic bag   When you take it out & unwrap the icing is most likely going to stick on the plastic wrap:(    You might have to crumb coat again 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 May 2019 , 5:15am
post #6 of 8

To place/flip a14” layer put it top down on a 12 or 14” board or the cooling rack; position it at/slightly on the edge of your layer & turn it over   It’s hard to put it words:(   Hold the rack/board w/ hands at 10 & 2 w/ thumbs on the bottom & fingers lightly holding the cake now make a n upside down “u” jester which should flip the layer onto the other     Hope you can understand that   

aalisha Posted 24 May 2019 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks a lot kakeladi. It worked.

aalisha Posted 24 May 2019 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks a lot kakeladi. It worked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%