1-D Cake Topper

Decorating By CarrieBakes Updated 24 May 2019 , 4:22pm by SandraSmiley

CarrieBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBakes Posted 23 May 2019 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everybody - I'm looking for advice on the best way to anchor a 1-D silhouette cake topper to the top tier of a three tiered cake that will be delivered to the client (not to the site). This is the silhouette I need to work with. My thought was to create two flat black gumpaste cutouts and adhere them together with black lollipop sticks sandwiched in between at each of the ankles. Do you think this would be strong enough to hold up to transport or should I give my client the topper separate to insert onsite. Or is there just a better way in general?

Also, I have never been able to reply to one of my own posts here, so just know that if I don't reply, it's because I can't lol. But I very much appreciate all your advice and how you share your talent!

1-D Cake Topper

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 May 2019 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 7

I think giving it to the customer to place is the best way   I’d make it up as you said   

kakeladi Posted 23 May 2019 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 7

BTW  we understand about not being able to reply   Just make a new post referring to/linked this one   After a while you will be allowed to reply to all   I guess it’s the way the site owners try to keep the amount of spam down 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 23 May 2019 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 7

Completely agree with kakeladi.  Make it up as you noted in your post and then give it to your client to put in place once they are at their location.  You could even make tiny marks on the top where the topper should be inserted just to help your client out a bit.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2019 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 7

how tall is it?

you can make a long skinny tall triangular piece of black to rest it upon -- I would attach it to the back and still do the popsicle sticks but you need to go way down into the cake with the sticks depending on how tall it will be -- i'd use bamboo skewers and stick it into the bottom board unless it's two inches tall -- it seems much taller -- I would not let the client touch it -- just slant it back a little -- be sure to crisp the gum paste completely -- I would use fondant and add in enough cornstarch to make it set up in a rain shower -- be cause that way folks can crack off a bite maybe and eat it -- add some flavoring is what I would do --

you could even put a skewer into the triangle piece too -- if you feel you need it

kakeladi Posted 23 May 2019 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 7

Yah K8  I wondered how tall it is —makes a difference how to handle it   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 May 2019 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 7

I would make it as you described but, instead of skewers, I would use a heavy gauge wire, wrapped in floral tape, and make it extend all the way to her raised hand and use a second wire that extends to her shoulder and down through the other leg.  That way, she has support all over.  I agree, the wires should be long enough to go all the way down through the cake to the cake board.  They should either be inserted into straws so they never come into contact with the cake.  I would use pastillage or gum paste, but fondant fortified with cornstarch or Tylose will work equally well.  Allow as long as possible for it to harden before moving, at least a couple of days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%