How To Turn Yellow Cake Mix Into Chocolate?

Baking By HajraK Updated 28 May 2019 , 4:32am by kakeladi

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 22 May 2019 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 10

Hi friends!

can anyone advise me as to how I can turn halfna yellow cake mix into chocolate cake? I want to use half the cake mix for a small cake and the other half for chocolate cake pops. Do I just add cocoa? If so how much?

thanks!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 May 2019 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 10

Just add about 1/2 cup UN sweetened cocoa to it   & if you use strong brewed coffee for the liquid it will be even better 

HajraK Posted 22 May 2019 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks kakeladi

I’ll be splitting one box of cake mix batter so would I use 1/2 cup for the entire cake mix or just half of it? I was thinking of maybe dissolving a 1/2 teaspoon of coffee into 1/2 tspn vanilla and then adding it to the batter.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 May 2019 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 10

Hajrak, I am sure kakeladi will get back to you, and I would certainly defer to her expertise.  However, for half a cake mix, I would think you would only need about 1/4 cup of cocoa.  You can always start with 1/4 cup, taste it and add more if you want a stronger chocolate flavor.  I am not sure the vanilla would be a large enough volume of liquid to completely dissolve the coffee.  If it is not quite enough, add another teaspoon of water.  It will not hurt anything.

kakeladi Posted 23 May 2019 , 3:02am
post #5 of 10

Sandra is right- that’s what I get for answering in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep   The best way to go is to divide the dry mix making up each 1/2 separately   That way you can make the chocolate better than trying to change  vanilla batter into chocolate   I don’t think 1/2 teaspoon of coffee is near enough   It also will make it easier to tell how much chocolate to use  

HajraK Posted 23 May 2019 , 5:06am
post #6 of 10

I think the only tricky part of trying to make half batches of the batter would be to split 3 eggs

kakeladi Posted 23 May 2019 , 5:20am
post #7 of 10

Use 1 or 2 plus several Tablespoons Of applesauce 

kakeladi Posted 23 May 2019 , 5:22am
post #8 of 10

Or measure the 3 eggs scrambled in a measuring cup & use 1/2 of whatever that measure is ;) 

HajraK Posted 28 May 2019 , 3:30am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the tips friends! I scrambled the eggs and split it between the batter, I added cocoa to the dry batter as well as coffee and I think it worked well! The chocolate cake rose well and tastes good too! I’m going to crush it up to make cake truffles now lol

thanks again!

kakeladi Posted 28 May 2019 , 4:32am
post #10 of 10

So glad to hear it worked out well 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%