How To Get Out Of A Wedding Order

Baking By StackedCakes19 Updated 22 May 2019 , 2:19am by SandraSmiley

StackedCakes19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StackedCakes19 Posted 21 May 2019 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone. I have a dilemma. Someone I know from school contacted me asking if I could make her wedding cake. Her wedding is 4 weeks away! She contacted me at the beginning of May, but I am stressed out from the exchanges we have had thus far. I have repeatedly asked for head counts and asked her to concrete details, but nothing. No money has exchanged hands, no contract has been signed. I don't think she knows what this whole wedding process entails, and I feel like I have chased her down to get no answers. I'm pretty sure she is assuming I will do her cake because we have discussed things, but like I have mentioned, nothing has been concrete. At this point, I am just wondering what the best way to communicate to her that I will not be doing her cake is? I don't want her to feel like I am dropping her last minute, but at this point I am not at all interested in doing the cake. TIA everyone!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 May 2019 , 1:50am
post #2 of 3

You do NOT have an order   Let her know   No $$$ NO cake   You cannot make anything w/o knowing what is expected 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 May 2019 , 2:19am
post #3 of 3

I had a similar situation last August for a wedding which took place last week.  This was for a Senator's daughter and the wedding was being held at a billionaire's mansion.  With this in mind, I was expecting a huge, fairytale wedding.  I asked her if she had any ideas about what she wanted and her only brief was MTSU elegant (Middle Tennessee State University, also my school).  Not much to go on.  She did send me one picture of a three tiered, buttercream cake with real, blue orchids.  She said she just wanted a cake for she and her husband (3 tier?), that she would have a desert table for her guests.  She might want a grooms cake and she thought she might like to have models of she and her fiance in their MTSU gear (again ???).  That is the last bit of information I was ever able to get out of her.  I had already let her know that I wanted the transaction finalized by the first of December so I would have plenty of time to do a good job with whatever she decided upon.  We never even got to the point where I could give her a quote.  Toward the end of December, I told her and her wedding planner, who was as unhelpful as the bride, that I just didn't feel I would be able to meet their expectations and thought it best they found someone else to do the cake.

My best friend attended the wedding last week and sent me pictures.  Although she had a magnificent dress and the venue was out of this world, there were only about 100 people at the wedding and I'm told it was very simple and elegant.  The cake was a plain, white buttercream with a few real flowers (not royal blue, as she has requested).  Very pretty and simple.  As soon as I saw the pictures, I realized what had happened.  Although wealthy, the bride's taste was simple and sweet.  She was probably completely overwhelmed with all of my questions, pictures and suggestions.  She had a beautiful wedding and I didn't have the stress, so we were both happy.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%