Humidity Is Killing My Sugar Flowers

Sugar Work By KSJRcreations Updated 22 May 2019 , 10:34pm by SandraSmiley

KSJRcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSJRcreations Posted 21 May 2019 , 12:03am
post #1 of 10

I'm making my nephews wedding cake for June 1 and am adding gum paste flowers. I've made a bunch but the weather here is so humid I'm afraid they are going to melt before I need them. Any suggestions as to what might help keep them hard will be greatly appreciated. I need to make more but want to make sure there will harden. Please help!

9 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 21 May 2019 , 12:39am
post #2 of 10

My house stays humid as it warms up. I bought a small fan from Walmart and set my flowers in front of that until I need them.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2019 , 2:03am
post #4 of 10

Many products- including prescriptions &  some powdered foods come with small packets of drying agents   Have any around?   In the future keep them on hand :)  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2019 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 10

yeah called silica gel packs —

but also add some extra tylose or cornstarch to your gum paste brew — will make it set up faster but — it should hold fine in air conditioning — it’s nothing but quite humid here for months in elvistown — never had my gp or fondant flowers wilt

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2019 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 10

please feel free to start a new thread if your new membership is preventing you from responding here

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2019 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 10

are you in the u.s.?

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2019 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 10

I feel a story coming on -- if I recall correctly somewhere in ohio like twenny years ago there was a cake competition or display or something where tons of lovely work was brought into a tent in the summer for viewing -- yeah, it was a competition because I remember one of my friends won something -- well it rained like crazy the dew point exploded and all of the gorgeous creations including the hand made flowers in that tent wilted like under whipped whipping cream in a hot kitchen --

omg 

but that was an extreme thing to have happen -- should not happen in air conditioning -- so i'm also wondering if you have too much water/liquid in there if in fact you are in air conditioning

KARichards46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KARichards46 Posted 22 May 2019 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 10

KSJ, Where do you live?  I live in Florida and I have to keep my flowers in an air conditioned room!  I was working on a project and came home one day to find all of my rose petals on the table, I was horrified to say the least. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 May 2019 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 10

If you do not use it already, the best gum paste that I've used and holds up much better than any other to humidity is Nicholas Lodge's recipe.  It is much stronger than most commercial pastes and rolls thinner too.  Under very humid conditions, however, I would probably leave my petals slightly thicker than otherwise, just for extra strength.  The only think I do differently that the recipe shown is to add one extra egg white.  Just use your judgement and the consistency of the mixture.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/nicholas-lodge-gumpaste-recipe/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%