How Do I Get Perfectly Smooth Buttercream?

Decorating By CrimsonRose25 Updated 21 May 2019 , 7:17pm by -K8memphis

CrimsonRose25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrimsonRose25 Posted 20 May 2019 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 8

A problem I continuously have when smoothing buttercream on my cakes is air pockets/dents. I use a metal bench scraper (after chilling the crumb coat) and no matter how much pressure (a little or a lot) I apply while smoothing the buttercream there are lots of air pockets in the frosting. It doesn’t look terrible but it certainly doesn’t look good either. Any tips? I took a picture of one of my cakes before decorating so you can see what I mean. How Do I Get Perfectly Smooth Buttercream?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2019 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 8

The problem isn't with your technique, it's with your buttercream.  Stir is gently to get a bit of the air out.  Or alternatively, put a glob on the bench and use a spatula and work it back and forth until it's smooth (paddling.)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 May 2019 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 8

It also helps to warm the bench scraper in hot water, then gently go around the cake.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 21 May 2019 , 12:37am
post #4 of 8

I do exactly as Sandra suggested. I keep a bowl of hot water by my cake to set the scraper in. Wipe off the water, and smooth it out. I ALWAYS have bubbles in my vanilla icing, and using hot water makes a world of difference for me. When my scraper is hot, it barely takes any pressure to make it smooth.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2019 , 2:07am
post #5 of 8

Please try the buttercream frosting recipe “2of everything “ found in the recipe section of this site   It is such a smooth icing you will not have that problem again :)   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2019 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 8

also if you run the spatula or scraper the opposite direction a lot if not all of the bubbles will disappear

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 May 2019 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 8

This is a brilliant idea, -K8memphis!  Why in the world could I not think of something that simple?!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2019 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 8

because most of us just go the one way around and nothing wrong with that :) you so funny!

I've spent way too much time behind an icing spatula hahahaha

you can try going up and down too that works also

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%