Dense Red Velvet Recipe?

Baking By CakesbyCorrine Updated 28 May 2019 , 8:20pm by SandraSmiley

CakesbyCorrine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCorrine Posted 20 May 2019 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 16

My go to recipe for red velvet is the bomb, so incredibly delicate and moist I have a hard time removing it from the pan, staking one layer on top of the other, and even icing it. 

That being said, I love it for cupcakes but it's horrible for cakes because it usually sinks in the middle a bit because it's so fragile and mix a delicate crumb with a cream cheese icing the outcome isnt very pretty.

Looking to change my RV recipe for cakes. Anyone have a recipe they can share where the cake holds it shape nice and is quite firm...I know that's the point of red velvet is being light and velvety so not sure if there is such thing. I could never imagine TV could be covered in fondant!

TYIA

15 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 20 May 2019 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 16

I tweaked my recipe a bit because it was very crumb-y. Would be everywhere. Mine has a combo of AP flour and cake flour, so it's still soft, but the AP helps it give it a little more structure.  I also chill all my cake layers before stacking and crumb coating,  it makes things easier. 

I have no problem using RV under fondant. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2019 , 2:39am
post #3 of 16

The *original* WASC recipe on this site is perfect:)   I start with a fr vanilla or yellow mix, add 2 or 3 Tablespoons of cocoa & use strong brewed coffee in place of water in the recipe 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 21 May 2019 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 16

I also start with the WAS recipe on this site.  I use a red velvet cake mix, add a box of chocolate pudding mix to amp up the chocolate flavor and use milk as the liquid.

kakeladi Posted 21 May 2019 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 16

Actually a true RV cake is NOT a chocolate cake   It has only the slightest hint of chocolate   The RV mix has W A Y too much red color giving it an off taste & if anyone gets a crumb on their clothing it leaves a stain   For those reasons I won’t use RV mix

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 21 May 2019 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 16

I don't really find the RV mix to have an off taste.  I used these additions for a cake I made a few months ago and everyone raved about it and my husband and I fought over the scraps.  I definitely didn't think it was overly chocolate with the added pudding mix...in fact no one believes me when I say that red velvet cake has a touch of chocolate in it.

But that is what is great about the WASC recipe because one can change up the mix and the flavorings to give them a cake that their palette prefers but still have a moist yet sturdy cake.

abarker7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abarker7 Posted 21 May 2019 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 16

How do you make red velvet then? 

abarker7 Posted 21 May 2019 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 16

*for kakeladi*

abarker7 Posted 21 May 2019 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 16

*for kakeladi*

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 22 May 2019 , 12:30am
post #10 of 16

The first time I had red velvet cake was 16 years ago, I didn't know what to expected. When I tasted it, I could taste the hint of cocoa.   I have tried to research the roots of red velvet and found on clear person or place to credit creating it.  rychevamp tweek is probably right on target for stability I would give it a try 

kakeladi Posted 22 May 2019 , 1:14am
post #11 of 16

To make a RV cake I use the WASC recipe as posted using a yellow mix & adding 4 Tablespoons UNsweetened cocoa powder then strong brewed coffee for the liquid 

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 28 May 2019 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 16

Here is a recipe that uses cake mix.   <iframe width="560" height="315" src="

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kakeladi Posted 28 May 2019 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 16

OK I agree w/everything in that recipe *EXCEPT* the 3 oz of red food coloring.  A Tablespoon or two is all that is needed. 

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 28 May 2019 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 16

I think she used 3 ounces of coloring because she used 3 tabkespoons of cocoa so the extra food coloring was needed to get the cake to be red. I think most recipes only use 2 ounces of food coloring .

kakeladi Posted 28 May 2019 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 16

That cake was W A Y too red.   Any crumbs on clothing is going to stain something aweful.   I'd rather have a slight red tinge than ruined clothes.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 May 2019 , 8:20pm
post #16 of 16

I totally agree with you, kakeladi!  Christmas red is an unnatural color for a cake!  I always use half the amount of food coloring called for in my recipe and while it is not day-glo red, it is a nice color without any odd taste and still looks like food.  I cringe when I see a cake that color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%