Variation On Abc?

Decorating By Naty Updated 19 May 2019 , 4:26am by SandraSmiley

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 18 May 2019 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 9

I am planning to do the American BC with 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco for a large cake. I am not crazy about the ABC because it is too sweet but its the only one that i think will do. I dont have space in my fridge so i plan on making the ABC the night before and chilling it. The morning of the event i will frost my cakes and leave them on my kitchen counter. The event is late that afternoon. It will be in a refrigerated room or outside for a couple of hours. If i do the frosting with 1/3 butter, 1/3 crisco, and a 1/3 cream cheese will it hold up to heat? Will it be safe to eat (pregnant woman and children)? Good for piping and flowers? Will it cut down the sweet factor?

Or do you suggest another recipe or combination for the heat / safety / less sweet / pipeable factors?

Yes, i am asking for the "miracle" BC....lol

I hope someone can help.

Thank you

8 replies
MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 18 May 2019 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Naty -

unfortunately most people will says it’s a no on keeping cream cheese out longer than an hour or two. 

Buttercream with just butter or with crisco or hi-ratio shortening can sit out no problem. If it’s outsode for a while it all depends on the temperature, of course.

the sweetness factor is another issue. Cooked ermine icing is less sweet....and I add some salt to my ABC to balance the sweetness.

good luck!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2019 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 9

Are you trying the “2of everything ‘ recipe?   Instead of using cr ch use white balsamic vinegar &/or cr ch extract   Same wonderful flavor w/o having any spoilage problems   Also adding about 1/2 teaspoon salt will cut down on the sweetness 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 May 2019 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 9

Even if cream cheese were safe to leave out of the refrigerator, which it is not, it also make frosting a lot more melty, so not a good choice when the temp is high.  Lorann makes a cream cheese emulsion that I use all the time and it is delicious without the dangers.  Definitely add popcorn salt to your buttercream!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2019 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 9

i’m on my phone so I can’t get the link — but for this time or next time or just to know — not only is there cream cheese flavoring like sandra said — if you get some white balsamic vinegar it makes a perfect abc that tastes like nice cream cheese icing but is 100% shelf stable — you can add it to any abc and there’s also a recipe for it here on cc — just do a search for balsamic in recipes — and I get the white balsamic vinegar at my local grocery store, Walmart carries it and amazon too —

no need to fridge the abc overnight like that — you can add either fine grind gravy flour called wondra, or add corn starch to any recipe to make it even sturdier — a few tablespoons as many as four will do it

best to you

SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2019 , 12:41am
post #7 of 9

I still have not found the white balsamic vinegar locally,  -K8memphis, but am sure that one day I will.  I would love the use this recipe.  Cream cheese frosting is my favorite, but just not practical for lots of applications.

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2019 , 1:39am
post #8 of 9

i’m just positive it’s available there — we’re only a few hundred miles apart from each other — if I can get it in memphis, surely you can in the nashville area — you are in the nashville area yes?not even Wally World? i haven’t seen it at target but it might be there too — and it’s great on salads as well +1

i learned about white balsamic because it’s an ingredient in the fugi  apple salad dressing at panera  — and I Love that salad — i can make that dressing too mmm — so one day I was straining my brain about what could tone down abc — so I tried it — works great!

SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2019 , 4:26am
post #9 of 9

I live in Ashland City, just outside Nashville. We have a Walmart and a Food Lion, neither carry it.  We do go to Nashville frequently, but I have never remembered to look.  Surely Kroger has it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%