Buttercream Freshness

Baking By cserr4 Updated 6 days ago by SandraSmiley

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 6 days ago
post #1 of 7

How long does American buttercream(wilton) last at room temp? i made some last weekend and am hoping i won't have to make more. my recipe only has one stick of butter and the rest is hi ratio. Thanks! 

6 replies
MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 6 days ago
post #2 of 7

Hmmm...up to you. I would eat it and probably serve it to my family but I wouldn’t put it on a cake I was selling to a customer...

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 6 days ago
post #3 of 7

ok. i figure it should be ok but wasn't sure. i only used 1/2 c for a double batch of the wilton recipe. so 3 1/2 c hi ratio and 1/2 c butter.  ugh! i made a lot too

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 days ago
post #4 of 7

For future knowledge you can freeze it -- when it's fresh :)    

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 days ago
post #5 of 7

I always keep my left over frosting in the refrigerator or freeze it.  I am anal retentive and leave nothing at room temp.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 days ago
post #6 of 7

I would just throw it in the fridge.  Unless it is has been applied to a cake for personal consumption (because I don't like cold cake and when I want a slice of cake I want it right this second and don't have the patience to let it warm up blush) I wouldn't leave it at room temp.  When you need to use the frosting just pull it out of the fridge and let it soften, then give it a quick re-whip and it should be good to go.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 days ago
post #7 of 7

I warm my cake slices in the microwave for about 10 seconds.  Perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%