Cake Toppers Fondant, Candy Clay, Or Decorated Cookies?

Decorating By Naty Updated 18 May 2019 , 3:00pm by Naty

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 15 May 2019 , 11:33am
post #1 of 14

Hello. So i am making 3 separate cakes (6, 8, and 10).

I have not worked with fondant, candy clay, or decorated cookies before. Can you use candy clay like fondant? Say to make bows?

Any ideas on which to do that are "easier" for a beginner on these? Its for a baby shower. I know both are alot of work but wiuld like input on those that have done both for cake toppers, also pics if you have on decorated cookie toppers.

Which looks nicer on a cake? I would want to be iriginal and stand out.

Thank you

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2019 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 14

Which one is easier depends on you :)   I would use fondant myself but then I ‘ve never made candy clay    Bows, tiny booties, rattles can easily be made in fondant   The candy clay might look better as it will have a shine to it but fondant can be painted any color, dusted etc    Good luck deciding:)  

Naty Posted 15 May 2019 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you! 

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 15 May 2019 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 14

Personally, I use modeling chocolate in place of fondant, and I haven’t used gum paste yet, either.  Everyone I know prefers the taste of modeling chocolate, and it is the easiest for me personally to work with.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2019 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 14

No one has address the possibility of using decorated cookies, that's because it's twice the work........making the dough, baking, decorating......

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 May 2019 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 14

I use modeling chocolate, what you are referring to as candy clay, for sculptures and elaborate structures.  For cake toppers and other cake decorations, I  use fondant.  For bows, I like to use gum paste.  If you are not experienced with modeling chocolate, it can be very tricky because it will melt in your hands in a heartbeat.  I would advise you to use fondant.

SandraSmiley Posted 15 May 2019 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 14

These are fondant:Cake Toppers Fondant, Candy Clay, Or Decorated Cookies?Cake Toppers Fondant, Candy Clay, Or Decorated Cookies?Cake Toppers Fondant, Candy Clay, Or Decorated Cookies?

SandraSmiley Posted 15 May 2019 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 14

This is modeling chocolate:Cake Toppers Fondant, Candy Clay, Or Decorated Cookies?

Naty Posted 16 May 2019 , 12:38am
post #9 of 14

Thank you ladies for the tips! I did use marshmallow fondant (MMF) once on cookies (see my uploaded pic) and it was alot of eork. It tasted great though.

I will not be covering the cake with it. It is just for decorations. Will MMF work for the stopper or a bow?

SandraSmiley your work is AMAZING!!!!!!!! Such great talent you have....definitely a gift!

SandraSmiley Posted 16 May 2019 , 3:33am
post #10 of 14

Thank you, Naty!  Since I do it for fun, I am never in a hurry, which makes a lot of difference.

Yes, you can make a bow from fondant.  You need to add a good dose of Tylose to make it firm.  I like to use gum paste for bows because it is stronger and I can roll it a lot thinner.  That's just me.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 16 May 2019 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 14

And am important beginner tip....these things take time to dry and set, and do not "spoil". You can start making the decorations now. That gives you time to redo, or change direction if it does handle the way you like. 

Naty Posted 17 May 2019 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you!

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 18 May 2019 , 2:26am
post #13 of 14

I personally find modeling chocolate/candy clay MUCH easier to use than fondant for figures, flat cutouts, or anything that doesn't have to drape.  Maybe it's just that I'm way too impatient for the amount of drying time that fondant needs, but with the way candy clay holds its shape almost immediately but can then be easily softened and reshaped with just the warmth of your hands, I also find it's more forgiving.  Easy to fix mistakes and smooth over cracks.  It's easier to make, too, with no need for tylose, and most people like the taste better.

Sandra's work is super impressive!  Mine is not that detailed. :)  But here's an example of candy clay used for both topper/figures and for decorative cutouts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z92TqdHrf8x5A1Fw7

This is cookies around the side (decorated with edible image print and royal icing - definitely a lot more work!) and a candy clay topper (decorated with royal icing)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vkcUD94wBhYeser89

Naty Posted 18 May 2019 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 14

Hollyml, thank you! Your work is beautiful!

Im definitely considering rhe candy clay. Gotta work on bows. Any tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%