Heating Core....another Option?

Baking By Naty Updated 14 May 2019 , 2:07am by SandraSmiley

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 12 May 2019 , 4:03am
post #1 of 10

Hello. Can i use a flower nail instead of a heating core for a 12 x 3 cake? If so, how many should i use? Does it matter if the batter covers the nail completely?

Thank you

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 May 2019 , 5:36am
post #2 of 10

You know in25+ Years I never used a heat core in any size pan   Always had cakes bake up just fine   16” sqs & 12x18x2pans were my biggest ones   Certainly you can use a flower nail   I realize you will get others who will tell you the need for 3or 4 but I don’t agree   Having said that keep in mind that what works for 1might not work for you    A lot will depend on your oven   Using a thermometer in the oven helps a lot    That batter will cover the nail but you  shouldn’t have any trouble removing it— just be careful pouring the batter in so it doesn’t move around—batter won’t get under it 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2019 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 10

gallery_19538_3873_17500.jpg

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2019 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 10

I use a piece of folded aluminum foil with a tear there on the one end & the little legs bent in opposite directions so it will stand up--I put one or more in my cakes instead of baking cores and rose nails--so the bigger cakes can bake off better--They remove easy peasy--just slide a knife down each side and wiggle it out--the knife unfolds the little feet & it just slides right out -- you can also spray them with pam first  or whatever spray fat you have on hand --

pictured above ^^^

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 13 May 2019 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 10

I just recently baked a 12x3 round cake and I used two flower nails.  One probably would have sufficed and part of me thinks it would have been just fine without any but I used them more as a "better safe than sorry" type of thing.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 13 May 2019 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 10

My large sheet is 18x26 and use a flower nail when I bake 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 yellow. For some reason that combination takes longer. For the others I don't use anything.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 13 May 2019 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you all for the replies! I did buy cake strips so hopefully that helps as welll.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 May 2019 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, you can use flower nails.  They are very similar.  I always use baking nails on my larger cakes, it just makes me feel more secure.  Yes, you can cover them completely.  When you turn out the cake, the nail head will be visible.  NOTE:  Be sure to grease and flour your nails so they do not stick and tear your cake when removed.  In a 12" round, I use five nails.  Overkill?  Probably, but it doesn't hurt anything.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2019 , 2:01am
post #9 of 10

Yah Sandra —definitely overkill!!  But then I can see the placement-1 near each corner & the 1 in the center :)    

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 May 2019 , 2:07am
post #10 of 10

Exactly, kakeladi!  Actually, I am backing off on using them all the time.  It seems I only really need them for the chocolate WASC, which is so moist, it has a tendency to sink in the middle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%