An Easier Way To Make Smbc?

Baking By abarker7 Updated 21 May 2019 , 8:03pm by abarker7

abarker7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abarker7 Posted 10 May 2019 , 3:08am
post #1 of 20

Hey everyone! So I love the sweetness of ABC but love the creaminess and smoothness if SMBC. I finally found a recipe for SMBC that I modified for a good sweetness and texture. However, I hate how long it takes to make SMBC! Does anyone have a method of making it any faster? Just something that’s sweet but also smooth and creamy and doesn’t take an hour or more to make! Thank you :)

19 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 10 May 2019 , 10:54am
post #2 of 20

I came across this site quite a bit ago... but I haven't tried it yet... it is like a reverse method almost...

https://www.cakepaperparty.com/2014/04/foolproof-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2019 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 20

that’s awesome, aatkt

abarker7 Posted 10 May 2019 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 20

Thanks! I'll have to give that a try :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 May 2019 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 20

Having tried this recipe once years ago when it first was posted, I'll have to give it another try.  The silkiness of SMBC is so lovely.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 11 May 2019 , 2:18am
post #6 of 20

That recipe isn’t as silky as the regular method. Seemed more dense.  I tried it just to see the difference, and since I was generally making batches using 6-8lbs of butter, it just wasn’t a good method for me either. 

MBalaska Posted 12 May 2019 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 20

Well, I had to make buttercream anyhow & SMBC is my favorite.  So I gave this recipe a go.

It's not exactly easier, so to speak.  You still have to cook the sugar-egg mix.  However it was nice to just set the hot mix aside in the little double boiler pan and let it cool.  It was the same amount of work, the same amount of time spent, the same ingredients; you just don't have to work with the hot mix. 

It was, as @rychevamp noted, "slightly more dense."  

Beverly Edwards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beverly Edwards Posted 13 May 2019 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 20

I use Liz Marek of Sugar Geek’s Easy Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe.  

MBalaska Posted 13 May 2019 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 20

Yes, I agree with you Beverly Edwards.  Liz Mareks recipe is actually quick, easy, and very handy!!  It only has a very slight grain to it, but not really noticeable to most Non-Baker Non-Decorators.  We are sometimes way too fussy.  For a no-cook recipe it's fantastic!!!!

Day #2 for the 'Cakepaperparty' recipe.  I sat it out on the counter overnight, added some gel color, and re-whipped.  It colored up nicely. the slightly denser texture may be a nice feature today.  I'm going to pipe some roses onto cupcakes.

abarker7 Posted 13 May 2019 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 20

Nice! I'll have to take a look at Liz Mareks recipe too.

MBalaska Posted 13 May 2019 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 20

Boy was @rychevamp right about the density.  It was much harder to pipe than regular SMBC.  It also has a kind of shiny look to the icing.

An Easier Way To Make Smbc?

abarker7 Posted 13 May 2019 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 20

Looks very nice and smooth though!!!

MBalaska Posted 13 May 2019 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 20

yes it was. Thank You!   One of the things that I learned was to slightly paddle the icing with a spatula before putting it in the bag.  It helps crush out some of the bubbles.  But the shine is not something that I'm used to.  It must be because the egg yolks are not fully beaten to a firm stiff peak stage like in SMBC. 

This would be a nice icing for putting on the outside of a regular cake. It feels like it would smooth perfectly on the top and sides.  However, I don't think that I'll try to pipe it again soon.  My hands are just not up to the work at my age. 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 18 May 2019 , 1:32pm
post #14 of 20

I guess I never realized that answering a question would create such a wonderful conversation...

I always forget how all of you are so encouraging to one another and how you all are so willing to help...

Thanks to all of you... (and I didn't even have a question)

rychevamp Posted 18 May 2019 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 20

Yeah, the density was my main issue. I'm not crazy about the shine either. Looks oily. The regular SMBC method may be more work, but it's how I was taught many years ago. And my recipe is very light and no greasy mouth feel. I'll stick with it.  

I've never tried the method of pasteurized whites and just making it cold.  I've seen it on many sites, might try it sometime just out of curiosity. I think Mike McCarey usings that as well. 

MBalaska Posted 19 May 2019 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 20

@rychevamp ,  I think that you've hit on it exactly.  It looks "oily" and the mouth feel is slightly "oily" as well. 

with all of the crazy Mad Scientist experiments that I've had so far; there are really only a few basics that I stick to regularly.  Old Fashioned standard Swiss Meringue Buttercream is the best for almost everything.

Lauren Kitchens / Lizzo Mareks' no cook buttercream with pasteurized carton eggs & powdered sugar  is the 2nd best & quickest.

MBalaska Posted 19 May 2019 , 5:08pm
post #17 of 20

https://www.thesweetspotchannel.com/american-meringue-buttercream-recip

There is also a nice recipe called American Meringue Buttercream by The sweet spot by Shannon Mayes.   She has a tutorial video on her page. 

American Meringue Buttercream

Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Heavy whipping Cream

3/4 Cup Carton Pasteurized Egg Whites

4 TBSP Meringue Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

2 lbs Powdered Sugar (preferrably C & H Brand)

2 lbs Unsalted Butter

2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

1/2 tsp Butter Flavor

Place Cream and Egg Whites in Mixer and whip on High with whisk attachment until light and frothy, 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Add in Meringue Powder, Salt and Powdered Sugar and whip on high for 5 minutes.

Continue mixing on low and add butter in 1 stick at a time, then add in Vanilla Extract and Butter Flavor.

Whip entire mixture on high for 6 minutes.

Switch to Paddle Attachment and mix on low for 3-5 minutes or until most of the air bubbles have been released.

Enjoy this amazing new kind of buttercream that is light, fluffy, not too sweet, not too buttery and delicious! <3

rychevamp Posted 19 May 2019 , 6:21pm
post #18 of 20

Looks interesting, might try it sometime. 

I honestly have only worked with meringue based buttercreams professionally.  I was taught IMBC and SMBC in pastry school. It's funny when I see people using ABC use a paper towel to smooth. I was always

MBalaska Posted 19 May 2019 , 7:33pm
post #19 of 20

The American Meringue Buttercream is one that I've only tried once.  It was nice frosting. You may like it

abarker7 Posted 21 May 2019 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 20

I've actually tried this recipe but found it to be wayyyyyyyyyy too buttery. Maybe I could try it with half butter/half shortening next time though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%