Rosette Cake Pricing???

Decorating By av2016 Updated 15 May 2019 , 6:24pm by KitchenSix

av2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
av2016 Posted 9 May 2019 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 9 inch-3 layer no filling cake completely covered in rosettes/pearls for a party. I typically charge $50 for a cake with basic decor. Should I included this rosette decor or should I charge more for it?

Any tips help as I am fairly new at this! 

How much extra should I charge??

Thank you!!

5 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 9 May 2019 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 6

I would consider rosettes to be under the category of "basic decor."  I don't consider them any more time consuming then icing a cake to a smooth perfection and adding piped borders or other easy decor.

But just to make sure in regards to your pricing, a 9" cake serves up to 32 people if cut correctly so if you are only charging $50 that is $1.60/serving.  Of course pricing varies from location to location, but that, to me, seems on the low side even for a less expensive locale.  I just want to make sure that you are including all costs for supplies/ingredients, any overhead costs and also labor costs, as well as researching other local bakers in your area, in your per serving price so that you aren't just giving away or worse, paying someone, to take your product.  If you are, and your price comes out o $1.60/serving, then perfect.  If not, you may need to revisit your pricing.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 May 2019 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 6

The price sounds a bit low to me also.  A rosette cake is easy and quick to make, but it does use a lot more frosting, so you might (especially since your pricing is very low) consider charging an extra $10.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 May 2019 , 12:10am
post #4 of 6

I agree, that is super cheap and barely covering costs.

Rosette cakes are easier than trying to get smooth icing IMO but do as mentioned above use a lot more icing. 

If you have never made one before I would also consider a practice run as a lot of people seem to have issues with them dropping off the cake.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 15 May 2019 , 12:46am
post #5 of 6

For me a 9” 3-layer is $84 ($3.50/slice).

Single color rosettes are covered in base price.

That being said, I DO charge extra for rainbow rosettes. It entails coloring 6 or 7 different bowls of icing and it always winds up being more icing than one-color rosette cakes because I need to make more just in case there’s a mishap with each color!

Thought I’d share even though I might be totally off-base. I’m trying to be braver with my pricing :).

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 15 May 2019 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 6

I also now include rosettes in basic pricing; I used to charge more because it used more buttercream, but they are fairly easy to do.  Right now, I charge $3/serving.  Right now, I would charge $96, since a 9” serves 32, using the Wilton event serving chart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%