Covering Dummy Cakes In Fondant

Decorating By Cakesbybliss Updated 14 May 2019 , 7:24pm by Cakesbybliss

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 9 May 2019 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone :)

Lately I’ve been having a lot of clients requesting dummy cakes. I don’t mind making them as it saves me time from baking, cutting and icing the cake but I’ve been having trouble covering them in fondant. Because the cake is so light, I am unable to apply pressure with a fondant smoother especially when jrs a 4” dummy cake or any smaller cake which makes it difficult to have seamless, smooth fondant. Furthermore, my Danton’s tents to tear on the top edges since the edges are very sharp. That being said, I know bakers slightly shave the edges of the dummy so they’re not as sharp but I really want crisp edges.

What are the steps that you guys use when covering a dummy cake in fondant?  Do you guys cover the dummy in buttercream, water or something else prior to applying the fondant? Do you guys suggest Wilton fondant for these dummy cakes to avoid the tearing? (As of now Im using satin ice) what do you guys do in order to keep the dummy from sliding everywhere when you’re smoothing out the fondant? 

thank you! 

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 May 2019 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 10

Make yourself a work board by putting some 4” long nails in from the underside — so they stick up   Now you impale your dummy onto those   If your board is ltght alao  put it on a piece of “rubber “ nonskid shelf liner   That will keep it from moving & allow you to push the fondant harder    I definitely suggest using Wilton I’ve made many w/it   Roll it thicker so it won’t tear so easily   Use sandpaper to smooth the dummy  —- even the edges   For sharp edges “pinch “ it from top and side as you smooth it   You can lightly spray water on it to help the fondant to stick better — it will make it harder to remove when you’er ready to change the design    That’s all I can think of right now:)   

Cakesbybliss Posted 9 May 2019 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 10

Wow thank you so much! That definitely helps!!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 9 May 2019 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 10

On top of the already mentioned tips, I find paneling easier than rolling the fondant over it. You won’t have to deal with the edges tearing from the weight pulling on the sides. Just a suggestion if you haven’t tried it. 

Cakesbybliss Posted 9 May 2019 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you! What exactly is paneling?

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 9 May 2019 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 10

Quote by @Cakesbybliss on 38 minutes ago

Thank you! What exactly is paneling?

paneling is wrapping a strip of fondant around the cake, then adding the top circle of fondant on after. Or it can be done upside down to make the edges sharp and flat, then the top would be done first. 

Theres plenty of videos on YouTube that can help.  It’s hard to explain, especially fighting with the auto correct on an iPad and this website

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 10 May 2019 , 12:07am
post #7 of 10

I’ve always covered my dummies twice with fondant. Just found it easier. I add tylose to my fondant so it will firm up quicker.  First layer, fairly thin. Rub into place, then wait till the fondant hardens. Second layer, a bit thicker, so that when fondant is partiality hard, I can smooth the edges nice and crisp.

Cakesbybliss Posted 10 May 2019 , 4:52am
post #8 of 10

Thank you very much for the tips! I’m sure that will be handy especially for smaller tiers as those are difficult to cover in fondant without it tearing. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 May 2019 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 10

Before covering a dummy with fondant, I take my thumb and press firmly on the sharp edge, softening and very slightly rounding it to prevent the fondant from tearing.  It is not enough to effect sharp corners.  I use a super thin coat of Crisco to help the fondant adhere to the dummy.

Cakesbybliss Posted 14 May 2019 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%