Pricing Adjustments

Business By KitchenSix Updated 8 May 2019 , 7:19pm by KitchenSix

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 8 May 2019 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hey guys! So after more than 2 years, my business is finally taking off! I was even able to finally buy a dedicated cake fridge!

With that said, between the new overhead costs and ingredients going up, as well as valuing my time more, I’ve been thinking of doing a small price increase.  The question is, is this something that I should tell people’s I’m doing? Most of my advertising is on fb, and I’ll be doing the price adjustment in July, but not sure if I should just do it, or give a heads up, because plenty of people already think I’m too expensive.

What do you guys think?  Or maybe I should just leave prices alone?

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2019 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 9

sure raise your prices -- probably anything more than fifty cents to a dollar could/would go un-noticed -- I would not bring it to anyone's attention --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2019 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

Many business - especially such as ours - raise their price *every* year.   Not knowing what your pricing is now I cannot begin to know if you should leave it alone or not.   From reading  boards like this I find most are charging around $3 to $6 per serving. 

KitchenSix Posted 8 May 2019 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 9

My starting prices for buttercream cakes are $3/serving, using the Wilton wedding/event chart.  I also do $2.25 per cupcake, or $27 per dozen.  I like the idea of making a little bit more for my cakes, but also am afraid of coming off as greedy, especially when my town is full of 'cheap cake ladies' =(

KitchenSix Posted 8 May 2019 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 9

I do have a lot of other things I offer, but the cakes seem to well, take the cake, haha.  So that's where most of my money is right now.

-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2019 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 9

making money in business at those price points is not a form of greed -- 

-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2019 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 9

and congratulations!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 8 May 2019 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 9

It isn't greed when you're running a legitimate cake business and not trying to finance a hobby. The price for ingredients goes up, the cost to buy a custom piece of work goes up. I don't think it is necessary to let anyone know that you're raising your prices. You don't have to justify the cost of doing business.

KitchenSix Posted 8 May 2019 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks! I’m super happy about the sudden boom

of business! I was just starting to think that it wasn’t  going to happen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%