Should I Raise My Prices ?

Business By Jennyg17 Updated 8 May 2019 , 12:47am by kakeladi

Jennyg17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennyg17 Posted 7 May 2019 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 3

Hi so I’m asking this question for my mom. She recently lost her job and in light of this one of ly cousins was having a baby shower and she offered to make rice krispie treats and sandwich cookie treats for his party but then they remembered that she knows how to bake so they asked if she would be willing to bake the cale and they would pay her. Now my mom has no idea how much to charge for what she made she only took in how much she spent on supplies she made a 3 tier round cake 12” - 10” - 8” somewhere along those lines with fondant I will post a picture of it. So anyways since this is family she told them she would only charge them $180 but we have no idea how much someone usually charges for this ! Now someone at that party said “I want you to make my daughters first communion cake!” But that was it no agreement was made and no plans were made. They called her on Monday asking her if she’s gonna make the cake and 3 desserts for a dessert table! My mom being nice said yes knowing the party is this same weekend! Now this person has no idea the cost and my mom said look for the cake that you want I’ll charge you $120 it will be a 12” - 8” two tier round cake decorated with buttercream and they want sandwich cookies dipped in candy and decorated, rice krispie treats dipped in candy and decorated, and also marshmallows the same way my mom told them each dozen will be $20 but for the sandwich cookies $25 the dozen. Now since these prices are set of course she won’t change them but she wants to know if what she is charging is fair to both parties (herself and the client) specially for all the time she is putting into this I just want honest advice I can give her anything will help! Btw if this affects anything we live in California but for her to deliver the pastries she has to travel an hour. Should I Raise My Prices ?

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2019 , 12:10am
post #2 of 3

your 12x8 is 80 servings -- for $1.50 per -- don't you think that's a pretty low price? how will you make any money at all? 

the dipped items seem to be priced more reasonably but depends on how big they are and how simple or elaborate the décor on them -- you are charging seventeen cents more per serving for those than the cake -- the cake should be no less than $3 to $4 per serving imo

another thing -- how much you spend on supplies is a very short measure to use -- you need to add up everything you use including soap and paper towels and everything, hot water ain't cheap and turning on the oven and using the air conditioning to cool things off etc. etc. -- don't deliver for free either -- don't use your own eggs or add in any of your own supplies without adding it all up --

not to mention copyrighted things like minnie mouse should not be sold without permission from the owner of the copyright -- in this case, disney, and believe me they will not grant you permission -- yes I know everyone and their brother does these kinds of cakes but everyone speeds too -- just say no -- and for sure remove any online pictures --

so, so far your pricing is not fair to you -- up up up blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2019 , 12:47am
post #3 of 3

Of course K8 is right   It is always heady when one is told “how nice! — make one just like that— oh how much?    One has no time to really think things through   From now on Make sure you take time to think about everything involved before giving any information  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%