Is It Ok To Use Lemon Filling With A Naked Cake?

Baking By weluvpiggies Updated 7 May 2019 , 10:45pm by -K8memphis

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 5 May 2019 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 25

I'm making my first naked cake for next weekend and it needs to travel about 30 miles.  Will it hold together with a lemon filling or should I not chance it and just use a BC filling?  Thanks for the advice! :)

24 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 May 2019 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 25

Yes you can use it   Well depends on how its made:)    You don’t want it to be jell  like   Try mixing it w/some b’crean So it’s not so slippery 

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 5 May 2019 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 25

Pipe a "dam" of buttercream or white chocolate ganache around the top edge of each layer that is being filled. That way the slippery filling (curd, jelly or whatever you are using) can't reach the edges of the cake and it will hold fast and not move.

weluvpiggies Posted 6 May 2019 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 25

Yes, it is jelly like and I would use a dam of buttercream, I'm just wondering if anyone knows from experience if a jelly filling with a BC dam will hold for the drive.  It will either be a 3 layer 6in. or 8in. not sure yet.

Thanks!!

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 6 May 2019 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 25

It's always worked for me (although I prefer a white chocolate ganache dam) I took a 3 tier (6, 8 and 10 inches), with 4 layers in each tier on a 48 mile drive on the hottest day of the year and it arrived in the same condition as it left.

kakeladi Posted 6 May 2019 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 25

It shouild be fine with a nice heavy/thick dam.  Not BIG in size but thickish icing.  You can even use a rope of fondant as your dam.  Then as with all cake deliveries take your time, no sudden stops, hard turns etc :) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2019 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 25

lemon curd needs to stay refrigerated -- if made with eggs blush

sleeve filling probably does not need to be kept fridged

the easiest way to make lemon curd is to use the microwave https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/easy-microwave-lemon-curd-recipe

it's so good but such a bummer to stand at the stove forever stirring that stuff -- you probably already have this recipe ^^^ but just wanted to put this out there

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 May 2019 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 25

-K8memphis, I use this recipe for lemon curd all the time and just don't see why anyone would ever do it any other way!  It is so fast and easy!

weluvpiggies Posted 6 May 2019 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 25

Thanks all!  K8, I'd love to try the recipe, but I'm allergic to eggs and the cake is for my MIL's birthday/mom's day get together.  I make a clear lemon filling using only water, cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon flavoring.  It's from an ancient Betty Crocker book. :)  I'm still mulling over using a dam or combining it with the BC.  Thanks again!

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2019 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 25

weluvpiggies, gotcha -- a thought for you -- zest your lemons and rub the zest with sugar and add that in maybe -- will burst up the flavor considerably -- but of course the zest will be little yellow dit dots in there -- just a thought --

I have an ancient betty crocker's too -- it's copyright 1950 it says it's the second printing of the first edition -- it was mom's -- hey the lemon filling recipe has zest in it!!!

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2019 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 25

Is It Ok To Use Lemon Filling With A Naked Cake?

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2019 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 25

don't mind me -- I got a new phone so i'm picture happy -- ha!

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2019 , 10:13pm
post #13 of 25

sorry about the egg allergy -- i'm allergic to sugar I break out in fat -- hahahaha

weluvpiggies Posted 6 May 2019 , 10:57pm
post #14 of 25

Awesome!  :)  My cookbook literally looks like a dog chewed it, both covers are missing and the first page says Appetizers.  It is a paperback with about 800 pages and the price on the binder is $1.95!

That is almost exactly my recipe!  I'm just too lazy to buy the lemons, I guess because we always have lemon juice around. :)

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2019 , 11:32pm
post #15 of 25

one of these days -- try the zest blush

yeah mine is in a three ring binder -- and a few pages are missing -- 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 May 2019 , 12:24am
post #16 of 25

If you choose to use the dam with the filling, I suggest you also add a buttercream fortification blob in the middle of your layer, as in the link bellow.

https://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/61807/filling-fortification

For a little more security, you could even built a portable fridge with a cardboard box and water iced bottle. @SandraSmiley share that link in many other post but I can't seem to find it now that I'm looking for it. Keeping your cake cold during transportation might be a good option for extra security if the day is hot.

SandraSmiley Posted 7 May 2019 , 12:45am
post #17 of 25

Laetia, here you go.  I share Sedar Yenner's video for the portable cooler all the time because I am a firm believer.  I use it even for winter deliveries.  The only thing I do differently is to have one side of the box open instead of the top.  It is much easier to slide the cake in and out than it is to try to lower it down, then bring it back out.

kakeladi Posted 7 May 2019 , 2:06am
post #18 of 25

Even if you use the lemon w/b’cream still Use a dam  — it just doesn’t need to be thick fondant rope 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 7 May 2019 , 2:14am
post #19 of 25

Amen to Sedar Yenner’s portable fridge box - it rocks! And as all of these fab bakers have said, buttercream dam + blob in the center will absolutely hold the curd!

weluvpiggies Posted 7 May 2019 , 12:41pm
post #20 of 25

Laetia, thanks for the tip, I had forgotten about doing that.  Won't be hot here on Sat., only a high of 60.  However,  I do have a lot of birthdays in the summer and they seem to always land on the hottest/most humid days of the year!  

weluvpiggies Posted 7 May 2019 , 12:59pm
post #21 of 25

Sandra, thanks for the video, that's a great idea!  I just want to mention that I use a piece of a rug gripper pad under a cake when transporting.  Seems to have worked well so far!

SandraSmiley Posted 7 May 2019 , 4:02pm
post #22 of 25

I always transport my cakes in a box, so I put a no-skid pad under the box.  I have cut pieces of cardboard that fit around the cake board to keep the cake stable inside the box.  Luckily, my husband has an SUV, which makes transporting easier and we always put a net around the box for extra security.  Probably overkill, but hey, butter than not enough!

-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2019 , 4:53pm
post #23 of 25

gift with a boxed cake you can safely get a flat tire or stuck in traffic or the engine overheat -- you know when the engine overheats you turn on the heater to keep it down till you can get to a station -- and you sure as shootin' couldn't do that  if your cake is not boxed -- don't leave home without one blush bow is optional

SandraSmiley Posted 7 May 2019 , 10:42pm
post #24 of 25

Hey, -K8memphis, I never heard the tip about turning on the heater to help keep down the temp when the car overheats!  Thankfully, that has not happened to me in the last 40 years or so....knock on wood!

-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2019 , 10:45pm
post #25 of 25

oncoming_automobile yeah hope you never to use it for at least 40 more

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%