Liz Marek Fondant

Decorating By webberblessings Updated 13 May 2019 , 3:51pm by Beverly Edwards

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 4 May 2019 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 6

I will be making a fondant cake for the first time and I live in Louisiana, very humid. I am thinking about using LMF fondant but a little nervous after reading some reviews such as issues with humid areas. Has anyone had success with this recipe in humid areas? Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated. I read that ganache is better to use for covering with fondant for humid areas. What do you think, should I go with ganache or is buttercream ok? Liz Marek says to always put in refrigerator but reviews I read said it causes condensation and stickiness. 

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2019 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 6

I do not know about LMF but any fondant will have condensation & stickiness when taken from a colder temp to warm.  All one needs do is leave it alone and that will dissappear in time.  

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 5 May 2019 , 4:57am
post #3 of 6

I've used LMF when it was humid (but not anything like Louisiana lol), and have never had any issues. Any time you're moving a cake from the fridge to room temp, it is going to sweat. I fridge all of my cakes, fondant or buttercream, and I advise to not touch. You can make a small batch of it and run a test to see how it does. I personally love her fondant.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 May 2019 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 6

I use Liz Marek's LMF all the time and live in Middle Tennessee, which is very humid in the summer.  It is a very soft fondant, which makes it a little delicate to use, but it is also great for not getting elephant skin and tearing.  I refrigerate all of my cakes, too, and the condensating has not been a problem.  I move the cakes from the refrigerator directly into their box, which has bottles of frozen water for cooling.  This keeps condensation to a minimum.  Below is the link to Sedar Yenner's video showing how it is done.

Honestly, lately I have been forgoing fondant entirely and using ganache over buttercream.  For some reason, I can achieve a prettier finish on the ganache than I can fondant and it taste a whole lot better.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 May 2019 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 6

Love, Love, Love LIzzo Mareks fondant recipe.  It has the advantage of tasting better, It has the advantage of the commercial properties to make it workable, it's cheaper than commercial, It is easy to work with and forgiving.  

Beverly Edwards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beverly Edwards Posted 13 May 2019 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 6

I live in LA and I have used it with a crusting buttercream underneath and it worked fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%