Newbie In Need Of Pricing Advice

Business By Allaryce Updated 3 May 2019 , 3:29pm by -K8memphis

Allaryce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allaryce Posted 2 May 2019 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 5

So I recently started my own business and someone my mom works with wants to order 300 cake pops for his wedding. I normally charge $2 per pop and $20 for a dozen ($1.25 for plain dipped or $10 for a dozen). My mom insists I give him a discount because he's only 25, but wedding cake pops are very intricate, time consuming, and pricey to make. I'm looking for advice on what an average price for 300 cake pops might be for such a formal event. Thank you for any help!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2019 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 5

What in the world does “being young” have to do w/it??   I mean if he goes to a restaurant will they give him a discount “because he is young?!”  Of course not & neither should you   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2019 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 5

charge what you need to charge — obviously when a person needs to feed a large crowd a hand made dessert it’s going to add up quickly — pls don’t take offense but I just gently want to say that your mom is a little mixed up in her priorities — her allegiance should be with you — 

she doesn’t get to give your work, time, or money away for you — right?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 3 May 2019 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 5

I wish there had been a "young" discount when I got married.  That would have saved me so much money!

You need to charge what you need to charge.  Cake pops are a pain in the butt and take quite some time to put together depending on how fancy of a design you are doing.  So charge the guy full price.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2019 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 5

blush if your mom insists, gently suggest to her that she should pay you the difference — since it’s her friend and her idea —

maybe that will help her understand

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%