Cake Extenders

Baking By Ezmirelda Updated 28 Apr 2019 , 3:55pm by -K8memphis

Ezmirelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ezmirelda Posted 28 Apr 2019 , 12:28am
post #1 of 3

I am looking for a Cake Extender to try with a Duncan Hines French Vanilla cake mix. I have found them all over the Internet and several on CakeCentral.

Questions...Why do some use Baking Soda and others use Baking Powder. I would think the "double Acting" baking powder would be better.

I've read that the sugar in the Extender will turn a White cake mix brown. True?

Can I skip the sugar or use Splenda instead? I know Splenda doesn't matter that much with a regular cake mix, but "every little bit"? 

Wouldn't adding more flour to a flavored cake mix kind of "Dilute" the flavor?

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2019 , 1:51am
post #2 of 3

The best possible recipe for you is the *original* WASC recipe found on this site    The recipe is revered around the world & does not have any additional soda or big powder   I have never heard of added sugar turning a cake brown:(   I don’ t know who comes up w/such nonsense—  No it does not   Since a mix already has sugar why are you considering the use of Splenda?  I  read of at least 1 person who in the * original * WASC recipe  cut the added sugar to just 1/2 cup —you might try that    The *original* WASC recipe does not delute the flavor but inhances it   For your own peace of mind add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla if you really think it is needed 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2019 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 3

i use self rising flour in mine so i don't lose any bounce -- and i usually forget to add more flavoring but i make up for it with the icings -- the sugar is important -- test it with the splenda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%